Speaker Main Upgrade for JBL NSP1 II

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark_H, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Looking for an economical upgrade for the mains in my JBL NSP1 II setup.

I know they are discontinued but was thinking about a pair of N28 II's, will these blend well with my N24 surrounds and N Center?

Are there significant differences between the N28 and N28 II?

Are there any of the E Series I should consider?

Does anyone have a reliable/economical source for the N28's or other JBL speakers?

Thanks for any/all advice.

2. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

They should blend quite well with the N24's and N-Center since they're all voice-matched (all have the .75" titanium-laminate dome tweeter).

3. Marco_Chicago

Marco_Chicago Auditioning

I also have the JBL NSP1II speaker package powered by my Onkyo tx-sr501 receiver and they sound AWESOME for what I paid. I am currently waiting for my dayton sub to arrive next week to complete the package.

As far the NSP1II package goes...it is worth every penny and alot more. They especially shine while watching movies. I although listen to about 50%music, 50%movies so I'm thinking of upgrading the mains from N24II's to either N26II or N28II bookshelfs. They are ALOT BIGGER than the N24II's and have a wood enclosure. Currently without a sub my N24II's are lacking in the bass department a bit (what do you expect 4 inch woofer)when I listen to music. I also want to do this because I have a 6.1 receiver so I would just end up using one of my extra N24II speaker as my rear center channel.

As far as the N26II, N28II, and N24II they should all voice match since they come from the same line. I would avoid mixing your current northridge speakers with either the s or e series.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The downfall of the N24s will be with music, as they are sorely lacking in lower midrange.

I would completely agree with N26s or N28s for mains, and use the N24s as surrounds. Better get them quick, since they are discontinued. Check www.jandr.com

There is essentially no difference between series I and II. The Northridge Es may not blend perfectly, but might be close enough.

5. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Just ordered a set of N28 II's from Vanns.com

They have them until 12/23 for $144.50 including shipping, this was the best price I could find although now I'm sure I'll see something cheaper.

6. Greg-ST

In my experience with my N24II's they work quite well for music. I haven't noticed a lack of any midrange.

7. John Garcia

John
    LOWER midrange or midbass. They are very good for the price, and I even recommend them to people on a budget, but they are not a spectacular speaker for music.

8. Greg-ST

Notice my keyword any in regards to midrange? My N24II's don't lack any midrange punch, clarity, or power. They extend quite easily down to their rated response with little to no dropoff. I listen to a good deal of classical music, and the lower brass and lower string instruments sound excellent (as well as instruments covering the rest of the spectrum).

If they weren't good for music, believe me, I'd notice since I listen to plenty of it and have a critical ear. I know you've likely read Phil's site before, but maybe you should read the accolades for these JBL's again. There's really nothing wrong with them. They work great for both music and movies. The accolades come from folks who have far more experience in home theater than likely the majority of people here.

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Matching components helps the N24's to sound very good w/music.

Like Greg-ST, with my Yamaha RX-V995 90 Hz fixed x-over, my jazz music and lower midrange sounds better than most smaller bookshelf/satellite speakers since they have REAL Usable lower frequency response down to 89 Hz -2.7 dB ...

• JAN. 2002 Sound & Vision Magazine
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right...... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center................... 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround.............. 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB

My brother and I verified it's real life frequency response using Delos DVD Spectacular 20 Hz to 20 kHz test tone sweep and his Spectrum Analyzer w/calibrated mic. My brother was so impressed with my six-month JBL NSP1's (Oct. 2000) virtual flat frequency response in my 20' x 30' HT/family room that he bought a set for himself when they went on sale and rounded out his setup with a SVS 25-31PCi (the one and only never to be repeated ??? summer sale for $499 + SH)! [​IMG]

My personal side by side comparison vs. my JBL S26's reveals that the N24's mid's faithfully reproduces the music, especially the voices - see April 11, 2000 - Brent Butterworth for etown JBL N24 bookshelf comments copied below!

The JBL S26's larger 6" speaker provides the same flat impressive mid's** like the N24's 4" speaker, but the laws-of-physic's rules and the S26 adds another level of presence and imaging by moving more air!

**NOTE: May 20, 2000 - Home Theater Magazine

Excellent price! Once you REF Calibrate and break-in the N28II's, they should sound glorious!

Phil

10. John Garcia

John
    I can attest to the Phil's more than capable ears, I've met him in person, actually. I've been to his place, though I did not hear the N24s there (heard the S26s compliment he now has).

My speakers come with response curve matched drivers (hand selected, curve documentation included for the tweeters) and have a response of 55Hz-20kHz +/-1.2dB. Does that mean they are the best thing since sliced bread? No, but they make me very happy when I listen to them, and they cost quite a bit more than the N24s.

I listen to almost no classical, but I do listen to a lot of jazz and vocals.

Everybody has their own preferences, and the N24s did not impress me as much as the reviews would suggest. No need to get defensive, it is merely an opinion, nobody said you have to agree.

Hi Phil [​IMG] I have some speakers for you to check out...

11. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the responses.

Phil:

Your comments regarding the N24 and NSP1 in other threads and your site are primary reasons I choose the NSP1.

I'm glad I did, for $200 (B&H Photo incl/ship) this setup is awesome. I just couldn't resist the temptation to try and improve it a bit.

What do you reccomend for a break in procedure?

Also, any thoughts on reasonably priced but good stands for the N28's?

Thanks.

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Just play your 'everyday' music/TV/DVD normally for the first 80 hours or so. When you're by yourself, play some of your favorite CD's @ slightly above AVG. during that time period.

After 80 hours or more, play the same CD @ slightly above AVG. and the sound should be smoother!

Have fun,
    Phil

13. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

After ordering the N28 II's I had some second thoughts. By the time I got some good speaker stands for the N28's I found I could get N38 II's for not much more.
    Will the N38 II's be high enough I can do without speaker stands?

I am returning the N28's and have purchased a pair of N38 II's from one of Harman Audio's Ebay auctions.
    Hopefully my "refurb" speakers come through looking basically like new. Can anyone else who's purchased a JBL Harman Audio refurb desribe what condition they arrived in?

Is it still a good idea to set the N38's as "small" on my HK AVR so only my sub gets frequency's below 100hz?

Also does anyone have any links to reviews on the N38 or N38 II's?
    The only ones I could find were user review's on audioreview.com, the main negative complaint was the original series had a tipping problem on carpet and supposedly this is cured on the N38 II's.

Any other info anyone can provide on the N38's or N38 II's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

14. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Bump

15. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

actually I bought the nsp set a while ago. I never really listened to music having new baby for a while, thats around the time I bought the nsp-1 set.

a year later I decided I can make a litlle noise now and start listening to music which I never did on the nsp-1 set.

well they do great for movies but when I heard what they sounded like on music I imediately went out and demod and bought a pair of Paradugm speakers.

for budget nsp-1 set is good for movies but am suprised any of you can really recommend them for music. no matter what I tried to do I could not ge the satisfaction out of the nsp-1's for music .

the N24's do sound grat as surround though. [​IMG]