Speaker made in china compared to European made

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dodie, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Dodie

Dodie Agent

I just auditioned a B&W DM604 S3 (Made in Europe) and KEF Q7,Q5 (Made in China). Does it make any difference for a speaker to be made in Europe as againts a speaker made in China? I like how the KEF's sounded on both music and movies. With the B&W, It was OK with music (soundstaging) but when I listened to movies I didn't like how it sounded. It was too dull or warm whatever you call it as compared to the KEF's. The receiver may have some effect on how the sound came out. They used Yamaha receiver on the B&W's while Denon was used by the KEF's. I just want an honest opinion on this two speakers?

2. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Many people on this forum look for electronics that are mnfgrd in Japan because the malaysian and chinese goods were reportedly not made as well...with many mnfgrs begining to look for ways to cut costs, the appeal of cheap labor has been too great to resist......build quality ,I believe ,has more to do with whom is operating the factory than with where it is, ie: are you farming out work to some shoddy OEM outfit or did you build and develop your own plant in that country......some years ago an american firm moved their mnfgring to mexico and the results were, according to most, not so wonderful....There seems to be a large # of popular mnfgrs in Canada and the UK.,AND SOME GOOD OLD FASHION AMERICAN ONES TOO!

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

To be honest I don't it matters what country they were built in. What's important is the design and the sound they produce.

Even if one had lesser quality components, the design could yield better sound than the other.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

KEF made in China?

Are you sure? KEF is or used to be a British brand.
    When did they move their manufacturing to China?

5. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

In general, a relatively good standard of living will attract quality people. The money required to obtain this standard of living varies greatly.

For example, the average computer scientist working in Silicon Valley makes twice what they do in Calgary, Alberta. However, they pay four times more rent, twice as much for food, and spend a *lot* more time in traffic. Suprisingly, they often pay more for big ticket items such as cars too. While the person in Calgary may make half what the person in California does, they have a bigger house, eat better food, spend less time in traffic, and in general enjoy a higher standard of living.

Wages which might barely keep uneducated trailer-park workers afloat in one place might attract highly educated and skilled workers in another place. This is why some buisnesses spread their operations around. You might take a look at where the AMD or Intel CPU's you're probably working on right now were manufactured. Both companies have a heavy asian presence, and not just in Japan. Those CPU's are about as technically demanding to produce as it gets.

You pretty much have to treat things on a case by case basis. Just as there are high quality chinese goods out there there are absolutely crappy american goods too. (*cough* NEON *cough*)

6. Dodie

Dodie Agent

I auditioned the KEF Q series and I saw the "MADE IN CHINA" sticker at the back of the speaker just above the connectors (binding post).

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

KEF was purchased several years ago by an Asian company along with Celestion. These were two very old, very distinguished British brands. So I don't find it surprising at all that they have moved (some?) of their manufacturing to Asia. Seems to be a trend.

Here's some info from the Celestion Web Site:

8. Ian J

Ian J Auditioning

Of all the great traditional British names, hardly any of them are manufactured in this country any more as it's far cheaper to ship the designs to Eastern Europe or Far East for them to make.

I used to have a pair of fine British Tannoy speakers that were manufacturered in Hungary.

9. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Even if one had lesser quality components, the design could yield better sound than the other
    I would take some pause with that comment, most of your better mnfgrs would say that DESIGN ,QUALITY COMPONENTS AND BUILD QUALITY all play an equally important role in overall quality....in fact there are dozens of low-rent asian (among other)mnfgrs who will gladly build any of your designs CHEAAAP and use whatever quality of components you spec. What reputable companies have found out though is that qc always seems to start to get worse and worse as the asian mnfgr stops testing incoming components for tolerances (or makes substitutions not in the contract) and the Cabinets start to not be as uniform as the pair they sent at first to impress the company whose name goes on it....

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Generally speaking, the cabinetry of a speaker represents a significant portion of the costs. Hence having it made overseas can be very cost effective. As to your preferring one speaker over the other, well I look at that more as you simply liked one better. You may well find that some of the speakers sold by say Red Rose to sound rather pleasant even though they are also made in China. I think we're going to be seeing more and more of this in all phases of HT. I'd also bet if Poland or Uzbekistan could make em cheaper we'll find them coming from there too.