Speaker Loudness?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt H, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

What determines a speaker's loudness? Does "sensitivity rating" determine the loudness? Example: at the same volume level, would a speaker with a 92db sensitivity rating be louder than a speaker with an 89db sensitivity rating?

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Yes, that's essentially it.
    The Sensitivity rating determines how loud a speaker can play when fed with 2.83 volts and measured from 1Meter away.
    A speaker with high sensitivity needs less amplifier power to reach a higher db level.
    There are other factors of course, but you've basically got it. [​IMG]

3. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Will a speaker with a lower sensitivity rating give better bass than one with a higher sensitivity rating? Is there a trade off...i.e. you can't have high efficiency (with a high sensitivity rating) plus good bass?

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I don't think there is any such direct correlation between bass and sensitivity, but I could be wrong. Bass can be roughly determined from the frequency response figures. I can see what you're saying, and I think it would be easier to build a higher sensitivity speaker if it didn't have to go down too low, but as far as specs go, I think they are pretty much two independent parameters.