What's new

Speaker Loudness? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
What determines a speaker's loudness? Does "sensitivity rating" determine the loudness? Example: at the same volume level, would a speaker with a 92db sensitivity rating be louder than a speaker with an 89db sensitivity rating?

RicP

Screenwriter
Yes, that's essentially it.
The Sensitivity rating determines how loud a speaker can play when fed with 2.83 volts and measured from 1Meter away.
A speaker with high sensitivity needs less amplifier power to reach a higher db level.
There are other factors of course, but you've basically got it. :)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Will a speaker with a lower sensitivity rating give better bass than one with a higher sensitivity rating? Is there a trade off...i.e. you can't have high efficiency (with a high sensitivity rating) plus good bass?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is any such direct correlation between bass and sensitivity, but I could be wrong. Bass can be roughly determined from the frequency response figures. I can see what you're saying, and I think it would be easier to build a higher sensitivity speaker if it didn't have to go down too low, but as far as specs go, I think they are pretty much two independent parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks