What's new

Speaker Line Comparisons (1 Viewer)

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
I not sure what happened with the first post, so let me try this again.

I am looking to finally add some budget speakers to my bedroom system. I just picked up a demo NAD t751 for $300, so I would be pushing about 60w per channel.

My trouble is choosing the speakers. I only want the two front speakers for now. My goal is to add more later (money)to complete a nice multi channel audio and HT set up. I am just curious how these speaker lines compare with each other. Are they equal comparisons? Also, how would you rate their tonal qualities -bright,forward,warm,open.

Axiom M3TiSe (too bright?)

Dahlquist QX6

KEF Q1 (where does this compare in relation to the other speaker lines? Are they equal to Paradigm Monitor series and Dahlquist QX's?)

Paradigm MiniMonitor

As you can tell from my choices, I am going to stay under $500. I currently have Paradigm Studio 40's in my main room, an I love them for HT, but I find them a bit forward or 2D for music.

Thanks for your help,
DJ

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I've A/B demoed the KEF Q series and Paradigm Monitor series (including the Q1 and Minimonitor) and for my ears there was no contest that the KEFs sounded much better. The KEFs seemed more refined for music and the Paradigms were boomy in comparison. I own a pair of the Paradigm MiniMk3 (predacessor to the Minimonitor) and I think they sound better than the current generation, but I haven't A/B them.

I haven't heard the Axiom or Dahlquist speakers.

I don't know if you're open to more suggestions, but I would throw the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 onto the list if music is a priority. That's what I ended up buying and I am quite happy. Clean and laid back sound.

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
Then the KEF Q series is somewhere between the Paradigm Monitor and Studio series? I plan to try and give the KEF's a listen this next weekend. I know there is a dealer that carries the line here, I am just not sure what models.

I am not familiar with the Ascend Acoustics. I am going to use the search forum and check those out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Dahlquist fit into the picture?

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Yes!

The QX 6's are AWESOME!!!

I have 2 QX10's, 2 QX6's and a QX60C , a 125 sub fot HT.

I used the QX6's for rears, BUT I used them for several days in 2 CH mode, and was very satisfied at their overall performance....

The bass was awesome!!

What is great with these new dahlquists is they sound very 'musical'..that is instruments sound like real instruments and female voice sounds like female voice.

Marc in Ottawa has demoed these QX6's to many customers and several have asked "where the subwoofer??"..

They are really that good!

Alex

Donald_Spry

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,
So do you feel the Dahlquist are more laid back than the paradigms? What about imaging?

Thanks for the post,
DJ

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!

I have had Magnapans, Mirage M1's, B&W's, Accoustat 2+2's etc..lots of great high end stuff.

The Dahlquist are very musical, solid bass, really tight and absolutley 'easy' to listen to...they are not that bright, but the instruments sound so lifelike and the tonality of the instruments are awesome, whether its a deep guitar riff from a rock band or some good solid jazz stuff...

They image really well, I am amazed at how well they do this...I listened to the new Nora Jones CD's and I thought she was in from of me singing...really a neat illusion!

They do female voice very well indeed.

Good luck in your choice!
Alex
Raleigh, N.C.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The QX6's image REALLY well. I have them on my 2 channel rig, I have studio 40's in my theatre. The Dalquist speakers seems smoother. Check out the link to my site, they look great too!

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd say Dahlqusit QX6 are outstandingly smooth in the treble, vocals are spot on for a small two way and the bass extension is simply outstanding.
Imaging is a definite strong point with an impressive depth to the image for their price. Careful not to toe them in too much though as their dispersion is excellent and too much toe in can collapse the 'wall of sound' type imaging they are so good at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks