What's new

Speaker level to low level conversion (1 Viewer)

Ray Kammer

Agent
I've just inhereted a great pair of ADS 1590/2 tower speakers that I want to put to use as the left/rights in my home theater system. They are monsters with dual 10" woofers. Problem is, they are very hungry speakers and I'm concerned about trying to drive them with my Onkyo TX-DS595 at only 75 watts RMS per channel. I have a great Yamaha M65 power amp which puts out 170 watts RMS per channel that I'd like to use to drive these speaker. So, I'm asking if there is a device available to convert the speaker level outputs from the Onkyo to the RCA level inputs that the Yamaha power amp requires? And, is this a practical approach? The Yamaha/ADS combo really kicks butt when playing stereo and I'd like to put that sound to use in the home theater. Any thoughts?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In principle there's nothing wrong with feeding the speaker outputs to the line inputs of the Yamaha. It won't blow up the input stage, because the input impedance is so much higher that it cannot drain much power from the power amp.

However, here are some disadvantages: (1) some power amps aren't doing to well if they cannot drive a low impedance (= a speaker), so ideally you would have to connect speakers as well and (2) the output signal isn't the cleanest signal (especially not when speakers are connected to it), it would be better if your Onkyo had a line-level out to drive the Yamaha.

Cees

Ray Kammer

Agent
In order to properly load the output of the Onkyo, would it be practical to insert high wattage resistors (say, 8-10 Ohms or so) in parallel so the Onkyo thinks it's driving speakers? And, how about a series resistor to drop some of the voltage down to a lower level? Also, where would I look for these Converters if I decide to go that route? Thanks for the help.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In order to properly load the output of the Onkyo, would it be practical to insert high wattage resistors (say, 8-10 Ohms or so) in parallel so the Onkyo thinks it's driving speakers?
Yes, that would be excellent (because they also would be purely non-inductive), but make sure you have the proper wattage! Or else, cranking up the volume might turn them into smoke.
It may prove a bit costly to buy 30 or 50 Watts resistors!

While you're at it - you could also add a (low wattage) 5 kOhms or so resistor in series with the line input to your amp, to further protect it might someone choose to crank up the wrong volume knob.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stefan_CZ
Recent bookmarks