Speaker level to low level conversion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Kammer, May 24, 2002.

1. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

I've just inhereted a great pair of ADS 1590/2 tower speakers that I want to put to use as the left/rights in my home theater system. They are monsters with dual 10" woofers. Problem is, they are very hungry speakers and I'm concerned about trying to drive them with my Onkyo TX-DS595 at only 75 watts RMS per channel. I have a great Yamaha M65 power amp which puts out 170 watts RMS per channel that I'd like to use to drive these speaker. So, I'm asking if there is a device available to convert the speaker level outputs from the Onkyo to the RCA level inputs that the Yamaha power amp requires? And, is this a practical approach? The Yamaha/ADS combo really kicks butt when playing stereo and I'd like to put that sound to use in the home theater. Any thoughts?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Yes, there are converters but they may not be optimal in terms of sound quality.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    In principle there's nothing wrong with feeding the speaker outputs to the line inputs of the Yamaha. It won't blow up the input stage, because the input impedance is so much higher that it cannot drain much power from the power amp.

However, here are some disadvantages: (1) some power amps aren't doing to well if they cannot drive a low impedance (= a speaker), so ideally you would have to connect speakers as well and (2) the output signal isn't the cleanest signal (especially not when speakers are connected to it), it would be better if your Onkyo had a line-level out to drive the Yamaha.

Cees

4. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

In order to properly load the output of the Onkyo, would it be practical to insert high wattage resistors (say, 8-10 Ohms or so) in parallel so the Onkyo thinks it's driving speakers? And, how about a series resistor to drop some of the voltage down to a lower level? Also, where would I look for these Converters if I decide to go that route? Thanks for the help.

5. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Check out the following thread that asks the same question (and where I'd posted a couple of links relating to this issue):
    AVSForum link

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons