Speaker Level and on-screen display

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Pobuda, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

Okay..here's a dumb question that I need help with. Am setting up my new receiver(Denon AVR-4802). I have the monitor out from receiver going to input 1 via S-Video cable.

My DVD player is going to component input directly to TV. So when I have AVIA going I cannot bring up the on screen display to adjust speaker level.

Anyone know how I can do this ? Do I need to hook my dvd palyer to component in on the receiver and then go monitor out via component ?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

2. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

Anyone ?

3. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

With the DVD connected to the component input, do you have to select a video input(i.e 1,2,3)? That's the first question. Then we'll go fron there.

4. John Welch

John Welch Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

As you have learned by now from a couple of other threads, the Denon does no internal video switching. Component in = component out, S video in = S video out. Component in and S video out means NO video at all. Only the Kenwood VR5900, 5700 and 5090 have universal video and perform all switching and converting internally.

5. CaryC

CaryC Auditioning

I don't know about the Denon but my Integra Dtr-7.1 only outputs the on-screen display through s-video.

6. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

You should be able to adjust channel levels through the front panel of your Denon. Some buttons have dual purposes. Look over your manual closely.

You'll probably need a second person to read the sound meter while making the adjustments.

7. Andy Brady

Andy Brady Auditioning

I have the AVR 3802 and the manual states that the OSD is not dispayed over component video signal (monitor out) jacks and only from the s-video monitor out during playback.

8. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

Hello,

This is one of the things that I love about Onkyo. While my receiver (898) does internally switch from composite to S-Video, I am still without OSD when using component or when bypassing the video switching in my receiver. The receiver's display (not OSD) works great and I can adjust everything from the remote without using my OSD. I'm not sure if the Denon receivers are as user friendly in this way.

I have also heard of people using PIP or Split Screen features on their TV for this purpose.

Thanks,

Jeff