What's new

Speaker Level Amplifier (1 Viewer)

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver feeding an Anthem MCA 50 five channel amp from pre-outs on the receiver. I also have two outdoor speakers being fed from the receiver's "B" speaker outputs. The signal for the outdoor speakers goes through a volume control switch mounted outside. Prior to adding the Anthem, I had my five channel living room setup running directly from the receiver's main "A", center and surround speaker outputs.

With my old configuration, I was able to play a source indoors and outdoors simultaneously, because the output was all coming from the receiver and was "equal". Now, since the amplifier's output is so much greater than that of the receiver, I cannot comfortably output a source to both locations at the same time. If I set the indoor volume to a comfortable level, it's too low for outside. If I turn the receiver volume up high enough to listen to something outside, it's ear shattering inside. To listen to something outside I have to turn the amplifier off.

My question is, does anyone know of an amplifying device that can be connected at the speaker output level that I could use to boost the sound for my outdoor speakers?

Thanks,

Ron

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
My question is, does anyone know of an amplifying device that can be connected at the speaker output level that I could use to boost the sound for my outdoor speakers?
The answer is no. Amplifers will require the speaker level to be attentuated by resistors prior to amplifying again. This is very common in the car audio where a lot of people don't have preamp outs but still want to add an amp, so they use the speaker level outputs.

Make sure that your receiver is on B and not A+B on the speaker selection. this can really kill the volume depending on how they are wired and if only one set (A or B) is connected.

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
The good folks at Sherbourn have an amplifier that does all you want and more. Killer unit. Tiny, modestly priced, and bullet-proof. Don't let the wattage rating fool you. I hooked my first one up to my mains right away, and ended up leaving it there for a couple days to amaze the audiobuddies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks