speaker layout questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by CapnSharpe, Jun 30, 2003.

1. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

I have a 53" RPTV in a corner sandwiched by a fireplace and an audio rack. Neither the audio rack or rptv can go anywhere because the 6 foot component cables are already stretched out. I managed to place half of the seating so that that dipole speakers are on the sidewalls. However, there is no rear wall. Will the dipoles work properly without a rear wall? What about the front monopoles and the way one side is so close to a dipole? The entire sound field looks awkward. I'm going to try and hook up the rear dipoles tonight, but this layout does not look promising.

Is this feasible or should I start over again from scratch? Any creative suggestions? FYI - the tv is there because that is where the cable jack is.
    To a sketch of the layout: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tdoyon/vw...c=ph%26.view=t

2. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Hi Theresa,
    Follow this link to Dolby
    http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html
    and click on 3.1 and 3.3 for more detailed info that may work with your design.
    I would not limit your design and speaker, or video placement by cable length. Be it component-video, or coaxial. You can have the cable company re-locate an additional outlet. The only charge may be a wall fish. You may be able to do a carpet run with the RG-6. PM me for more details, I was a cable guy for a good amount of time before going into HT. You could either extend the component-video cable, or get a longer one. As far as the dipoles, you could aim them away from the alcove to receive more direct, less reflected sound.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Theresa,

Dipoles work best in rectangular rooms where there is a wall behind them. The sound bouncing off the walls is how they get their diffusive properties.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree with Wayne that the TV should go where the rack is now.

The 6-ft component cable : buy a longer one from one of the custom sites, or swap the Rack and TV position in your sketch. This thread should help. A long, white CATV coax is $7 for 25 ft from Radio Shack. Dont let the cables dictate your layout - that's just silly.

5. Agustin

Agustin Agent

yes, the layout is limited for your imagination, not for the wires