Speaker kits....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan Tracey, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about building my own speakers with the cabinet kits from Parts Express. I was just wondering what type of crossover I should buy. I know the Morel drivers from parts express are good, but what other drivers from PE are good.

2. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

I personaly like the Hi-Vi drivers. The F-series mid/midbass "kevlar" speakers sound pretty nice when put in a well tuned and damped enclosure. Focal also has some lower line drivers that are affordable and sound great it two way systems. I would go with the linkwitz-riley type crossovers. They have a nice steep falloff slope, and have closely matched phases. You will also avoid the summation problems that occur at the crossover points.
    Read this...http://www.trueaudio.com/st_xov_1.htm

3. Jordan Tracey

I am new to this building my own driver thing. How do you tune the enclosure, with a port?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jordan, if you are really interested in this topic, I would suggest that you pick up the Vance Dickason book, "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" and read through it because it will answer most of your questions, and be a valuable resource in the future.
    click here for link to order this book.

5. Jordan Tracey

Thanks for your help, next tuesday, when I get paid, I will have to order that book.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jordan,
    You may also want to try a kit speaker the first time around to get your feet wet. I would suggest the following as reputable kit suppliers:
    www.adireaudio.com
    www.subwoofers.com
    www.gr-research.com
    www.speakerpage.com
    There are others but these are the ones I'm most familiar with. I've personally built some kits from Subwoofers.com and GR Research and can attest to their excellent quality.
    Brian