What's new

Speaker Isolators (1 Viewer)

Kevin Cagle

Agent
I have read about different types of things that be placed under speakers to isolate their sound from other devices.

I just purchased a cc-370 and will have it sitting on the tv. Would I benefit from using some type of isolator?

I also just purchased Monitor 3's and have them sitting on some stands next to the TV. Would Isolators make any difference for them or are the stands acting as isolators?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Most speakers benefit from trying to decouple the cabinent from the supporting surface. When playing something at moderate/high volume, put your hand on the supporting surface. If you can feel vibrations, some of the sound energy is "leaking" to the surface.

For center speakers, rubber door wedges make very good "feet" and wont mar the top of the TV. It also gives you a bit of tilt.

Pink rubber erasers, half-inflated wheelbarrow innertubes, wooden dowels, and even paperback books have all been used to great effect.

(You should also pull your center speaker forward so it over-hangs the front of the face of the TV by about 1/4 inch so it does not acoustically couple to the face of the TV.)

Spikes on the feet of the speaker stands are also very common so the stands are not just sitting on the carpet.

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I have nOhr 4.0's with stainless steel feet sitting on ceramic planters for stands (large footprint). I was concerned about them getting bumped and sliding off the stands. I found an unused mouse pad that I cut into 2" X 2" squares. The speakers are much more secure and I think (very subjective) the sound has improved.

Kevin Cagle

Agent
The mouse pad advice sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try that.

Here's another question kind of unrelated.

I have a Samsung HDTV and it has a very small flat area on top. I know that the CC-370 is going to be way too deep to sit on top without help. Any ideas for possible solutions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks