What's new

Speaker interference on my tv (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
OK I just boguth a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 speakers to use as my mains. It is my understanding that these should be magnetically shielded but I am not positive on this.

Regardless I noticed this evening that on my TV on the right side there is a bar going down the edge that is a darker shade, it shows all the color but its like it is 25% the brightness of the rest fo the tv. the bar is about 3/4" at the top and 1/4" at the bottom.

My TV is a Toshiba 44"DLP 44NHM83 I had thought that a DLP would not be subject to interference from a speaker.

if anyone can give me some advice before i go for warranty service it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I have tried turningt he tv on and off as well as moving the speakers several feet away from the set.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

:confused: Moved the speakers but the TV artifact(s) didn't go away? If that's true, then I'd conclude it wasn't the speakers.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Unshielded speakers can distort the picture on a direct-view CRT screen (and possibly a plasma flat-panel) because the magnets in the speakers can effect the stream of electrons that a CRT uses to "paint" in image on the inside of the tube. Even a CRT-based RPTV is unlikely to be affected by speaker magnets, because the CRTs are buried so deep in the body of the set. An ushielded speaker (or electric motor or other source of electromagnetic interference) would have to be very close to the screen to bend the electron beam.

You have shielded speakers and a rear-projection system that uses light, not an electron beam, to send the image to the screen. It isn't possible that the magnets in the speakers are having an effect on the screen display, which you've already confirmed by moving the speakers without result. Remove the speakers from the room entirely and I'm sure you'll see the same thing. I suspect that it is just coincidence that you noticed the problem with your monitor shortly after buying the new speakers. Is the picture flaw there on all inputs? If not, I'd start checking all my connections. You may have knocked something loose or run a signal cable too close to a power line (which can introduce interference in the cable) while hooking up the new speakers.

Regards,

Joe

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok I was 99% sure it wasent the speakers but well i wanted to make sure.

the problem is on all inputs so i dont think its a problem with cables providing interference.

wow im so glad ive got an extended warranty on this set, this si the second problem ive ahd with it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks