What's new

Speaker Impedence (1 Viewer)

Shanil

Grip
HI there. I have a Denon 1803, and Jamo speakers. The speaker impedence rated on the reciever is 6 to 16 ohms.
My front and surround speakers are rated at 4 ohms, and the center is 8 ohms. Is it safe to use these speakers or
will I damage my receiver?
Thanx :frowning:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It probably won’t damage anything, since most HT receivers have internal protection and will shut down with difficult loads.

If you play at high volume you shouldn’t use these speakers. You may likely find yourself suddenly without sound during explosive action flicks.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I ran into the same questions when I upgraded recievers.My first one was an Onkyo 600,nice reciever,but, as usual I did some research after the fact,:D and found out that it was rated @6 ohms min, and all my fronts were 4 ohm.I called Onkyo,and they said not to do it.So I traded it in for a HarmonKardon 520:emoji_thumbsup: .I have seen on this and other message boards that speaker impeadance varies widly with the source,and at normal volumelevels I probobly would have been OK.,but I chose the safe route and got the HK,which is just fine with low ohm speakers.Even now ,I ran a fan blowing over the rear of the reciever,just to be safe,since it is in a partialy inclosed case.I would reccomend checking the Denon website and see what the specs are for your reciever.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I went to their site,in their Home Theater FAQ it says it is OK to run 4 ohm speakers,go check it out.:)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
Sure thing Shanil:D ,I'm glad I could pass along some of the tons of info I've learned from the many good guys that hang out here:D .Like I said in my other post,I know the feeling of "OH ,OH, I think I did bad"
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks