speaker impedance question...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeSme, Jul 8, 2004.

1. MikeSme

MikeSme Auditioning

I’m a finish Carpenter by hobby and a Home Theater enthusiast…My question is this…
    I’m building a set of custom speakers from solid 1” thick Maple. If I take two 5” 4 ohm drivers and hook them in a series, would this make it an 8 ohm driver, or do I want to hook them in parallel for this? Cause you see…I bought fifteen 5” 4 ohm aluminum mids from MCM, and I’ve got the proper math for the speaker box and unlimited access to a mill shop (woodmeister corp).

Thanks guys…

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mike,

You might want to ask a Moderator to move this to our DIY and Advanced Projects Forum. You’ll probably get the best responses and information there.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

You'll want to wire them in parallel. Do a google search on parallel wiring and you'll get all kinds of information.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

No you won't. That would halve the load to 2 ohms which will burn up any but the most robust, expensive amps if played loud. Wire them in series for an 8 ohm load.

5. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Wiring two 4 ohm speakers in parallel will give a nominal impedance of only 2 ohms. Which, can burn up a low quality amp very quickly. Series will be 8 ohms.

Speaker building is a complex endeavor. There's far more to it than building a "box", and throwing some speakers into it. I would suggest you check out sites like Madisound and Parts Express. They have books, software, and components, that are essential in building successful DIY speaker enclosures.

-Rutgar

6. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Opppss... sorry I was reading they were 8 ohms....my bad.

7. MikeSme

MikeSme Auditioning

Hey, thanks guys...I have a CAD for building speakers. It takes everything into account, except how to make a 4 ohm driver an 8...! I'll post pics of the speakers when they are done...you guys will be impressed! I even have 3/4" x 8" Cherry planks. I can build things in this shop most people can only dream of. Check out the site...just ad a www and a .com to the name above, some real fancy mill work.