What's new

Speaker Impedance question (1 Viewer)

NathanL

Agent
Ok, I got a new receiver but until I get new speakers I'm going to just use my old ones....

Now my old speakers are from a 2 year old sony all in one piece of crap system. The only info I got on the speakers are they are 6 Ohm impedence and all 5 speakers are total 250watts. When reading through my receiver manual it says "Use speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohm to 16 ohm and my receiver is also 100 watt output per channel

Can I use my sony ones for mild music listening for the time being or will it hurt the receiver or the speakers?

NathanL

Agent
Anyone...just a quick yes or no....can u use 6 Ohm Impedance speakers on a 8-16 ohm receiver?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The lower the impedance of the speaker, the greater the load on the amp. The speakers would almost certainly work, but you there would be the possibility that you'd overdrive your amp. I would second the recommendation to monitor how hot the receiver gets (though this can be tricky since a lot of receivers normally run hot).

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
use them, you said "mild" so it should be ok. I bet if you cranked it you'd fry the speakers before you fried the amp. The amp prolly has a thermal protection circuit. If you keep the volume down it'll be fine.

Marc H

Second Unit
You should be fine. I sell 6 ohm speakers from Energy and Dahlquist and both companies say to treat them the same as 8 ohm speakers.
To be sure though, ask the speaker manufacturer just incase they do dip below 6 ohms.
I know the Axiom speakers I sell, the VP150Se and the QS8Se are rated at 6 ohms but they actually are slightly less than that and would not recommend those on a Sony DE series receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks