What's new

Speaker hum (1 Viewer)

wilfred

Auditioning
Hello All,

New to the forum, but greatly impressed with the level of professionalism and help. As a result of what I have read thus far it has inspired me to upgrade my HT. Resulting in a small problem. I have just installed an AVR325 (as a result of all the favorable comments viewed here) with Mirage M790 fronts, center, Energy Connoisseur rear surrounds as well as Messina rears. Topped off with the amazing SVS PCi20-39 subwoofer.

I am experiencing a hum from the front Mirage speakers. This is an intermittent problem and when it starts it slowly worsens. The only way to fix the problem so far has been to power off. I have read about cheater plugs and grounding the cables but what confuses me is that it is intermittent; if this were the problem would it not be constant? All equipment is in the same area as it was before I swapped my amp, it was a Pioneer AV793 and the sub was a DBOX 300.

I also have a HDTV terminal and a Direct HDTV receiver connected. Due to restrictions in the room my SVS is almost butted right up against my right speaker and the noise is predominantly starting there. Coincidence? I know the easiest way is to move it but really have no where else to put the SVS and never had the problem before with the prior equipment. Any ideas.

Thanks very much

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Puzzling problems aren't they? For starters, I'd check my connections to the sub and everywhere else. Make and break them. If the problem persists, see if it goes away with the cable (whatever it is that's feeding your TV)completely disconnected from the system. No connections whatsoever. Also try reversing the RCA cable going to the sub. I'd also investigate moving things...must be someplace you can stick that sub other than where it is. If any of this works, then let's celebrate and have a beer. Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board.

wilfred

Auditioning
Thanks Chu Gai,

I have followed your advise and disconnected everything including the subwoofer to the point that the only thing connected to the amp are the speaker wires (7.1 system) and the power cord to the amp, everything else was not connected to any power source. Not sure as a result of this connecting and disconnecting but the hum is lower?? But still not gone completely and I am somewhat concerned that should I leave the room it would get increasingly louder and cause damage (I'm not paranoid but I know everyone thinks I am!). I have narrowed it down to being the front right speaker only, so I swapped speakers and still coming from the right side? Could this be a ground loop issue, would it not effect all speakers? Thanks for any help you may offer.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
For what its worth I chased a ground loop, hum in the speakers, for months. When I received my first plamsa I ripped out all my wiring and rewired the entire system. the hum was gone.

I had the cable company replace the regular cable box with an HDTV box. Lo and behold hum hum hum.

Solution in my case but something you may consider is a ground block isolator on the cable tv wire. Installed one and GONE, system is as quiet on as it is off.

Good luck
Scott

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...V%20I solator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks