What's new

speaker hissing noise (1 Viewer)

ShauneWES

Auditioning
hi, i brought a panasonic ht05 home theater,its about 4 days old, hasnt been cranked up too loud, but i put my ear up to the center speaker and noticed a hissing noise, its not noticable sitting far back, but what does this mean? is there a problem with them or is this normal

thanks

MarkO

Second Unit
Alot of recivers have a little hiss with youre ear to the speakers. If you cant hear it at a few feet in a quite room its most likely normal.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Less expensive gear is more likely to do this. All amps pick up some level of hiss and do what they do - amplify it; the good stuff and the bad stuff. Average amps/receivers have less shielding and isolation, so hiss is more likley to be heard, not to mention these units are usually lower powered, requiring you to turn it up, which in turn raises the level of that hiss as well. A little hiss is normal in most systems, but if it is loud or only in one speaker, then it may be a problem.

ShauneWES

Auditioning
hmmm ok thanks guys, the hisss seems to be always there at the same level, no matter what volume i change it to and the hiss doesnt change its volume this normal?

waltPark

Auditioning
Could be a couple things:

1) bad inter connect
* try a different interconnect and see if it's gone or sounds different
2) ground loop hum
* Do a search on how to balance the grounds between components
3) bad shielding somewhere in the electronics
* Turn off anything else electronic including the lights and see if you still hear it.
4) interference from the tuner
* This is a design problem. Not alot else you can do to fix it.
5) dirty power (~ do you have flourescent lights? are you near industrial complexes)
* Try a power conditioner. This is probably not the problem though.

Could be other stuff, but it's probably one of those, or you have a bad part somewhere.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the hiss doesn't change when you turn up the volume, and it doesn't happen to all the speakers, it sounds like you actually do have a problem. I would check all your connections, and try swapping the center with other speakers to see if the problem follows the speaker or stays with the center position. Do you have this speaker sitting directly on top of your TV? Have you tried moving it away from the TV? It may be a poorly shielded speaker.

Ground loop is a hum, not a hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks