Speaker Hiss

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Ryan, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan Agent

Hi:
    I have Def Tech BP2000's hooked up to a Sunfire Cinema Grand Amp. I am noticing speaker hum/hiss when using my system. I have the amp set to auto-on. It goes away when the amp shuts off. Is there any particular reason why this is happening? Is it bad for the speakers? What is the best way to get it to stop?
    When I had my setup upstairs, (I now have a dedicated theater room), I don't remember it happening.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mike_P

Mike_P Agent

You might have a ground loop or other grounding problem. Are all the speakers and amps plugged in to the same power circuit? Are they all plugged in with the large blade in the large slot of the outlet? Do they all have the ground connector intact (the 3rd round connection on the plug)? Use a circuit tester (available at any hardware store) to check the wiring of your outlets. It's not unusual for outlets to be wired backwards, with the hot and the neutral lines reversed. If they are, you may want to hire an electrician to correct the problem. Are there any light dimmers on the circuit? Dimmers drive amplifiers nuts. Try using a 3-wire extension cord and running the amp or the speakers from different circuits. It may help you find the source of the problem.
    Good Luck,
    Mike P

3. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan Agent

Hi Mike:
    Thanks for the reply. The Cinema Grand is plugged into a seperate 20 amp circuit along with a Monster Power 3500 power conditioner. Also, the BP2000's are plugged into seperate outlets.
    Chris