Speaker hiss with Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Denon 3802 receiver to replace a Yamaha 596. I have Paradigm Monitor series speakers. At any volume and in any mode, I have a consistant hiss coming mostly out of the tweeters. If I turn the volume all the way down (to the negetive infinity sign), the hiss goes away, but when I turn it up one click, the noise returns. The hiss does not seem to get louder if I turn up the volume. It is just loud enough to hear from the listening position. I had bought a Marantz SR8200 last month (that was returned due to the audio drop out problem) and the Marantz did not have the hiss. The Yamaha had some noise, but it was variable with the volume.

Is this a known issue with the Denon or is there something I can do to lessen the noise? Thanks!

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Tom, I had a 3801 with no hisssing problem. I havent heard of a hissing problem on the 3802. If it were a ground loop problem I would think you could hear it even with the volume down. It could be a bad interconnect or maybe your interconnects are running alongside your power cables. If this isnt it, I would think you have a defective unit...Hope this helps

3. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    I have the 3801 and Mini's...
    I do get some feedback hiss when I'm listening/watching cable TV...I have my TV's audio output going to the Denon's audio input. I think it's because of the great quality of my cable provider...[​IMG]
    But when I switch over to my DVD...dead silence. No hiss at any volume.
    I haven't heard about any hiss problems with 3802 models though...
    HTH,
    Ed

4. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

I have had my 3802 for a week now and have not noticed any hiss. You probably hate to hear it, but check your connections.

5. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

The noise is definately there with all sources including the digital sources.

6. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Auditioning

Tom, do you have cable t.v ? if so have you unhooked it to see if its causing the problem. Almost every time I have a hiss or a hum it seems to be caused by my rotten cable tv..

7. RoyB

RoyB Extra

I have a Denon 2600 and have also noticed the exact same problem you are describing. In my case, the hiss is present even at 0 volume and with any type of input. It is always there... I'd be interested in possible sources/remedies. Someone mentioned a ground loop problem...what is that?

8. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3802 with Paradigm Monitor 7's: no hiss at reference level (0) and below. I haven't checked above this, but I did pay attention to this issue, as I was sensitive to the possibility replacing a "hissy" JVC.

jdg

9. David NZ

David NZ Auditioning

Tom

I sent mine 3802 back to the local (New Zealand) agents as I can hear hissing too. They came back saying that they tested it for 3 days and it was normal level.

So I hooked it up in another room in case of anything electrical from around the TV - just the amp, speaker cable and 1 speaker (Mission M74), no input source. Still hissed.

So, I'm going to take it to the local store one day and check it side by side with some other amps, will let ya know the result.

David.

10. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

No hiss even at max volumes on my 4802 with the Kipsch Reference 3 package all around and the klipsch are very sensitive speakers. BTW, I looked for hiss at the dealer on the 2802 and the 3802 and both were dead silent even at max volumes.
    Check your speaker connections and your interconnects and if that does not work, move your receiver away from all the other components and just hook the speakers and see if you still have hiss. Try process of elimination and as someone suggested, it might be the cable.[​IMG]