Speaker Hiss? (bookshelf system)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chazz_S, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it since this isn't really a part of my HT set up, but I've wondered about it for quite a while, though I never knew where I could ask about it.

My shelf system (one of those small systems that's popularly deemed "executive" nowadays) speakers in my bedroom exhibit hissing, which is most noticeable of course, when I just turn it on and no sound is coming through (i.e. CD mode stopped). It's not a LOUD hiss, it's just one of those things that's noticeable normally if you're occupied with something but it is always there, and quite present if you are listening for it. I can detect a bit of it still if I'm playing something at low volume.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. I have to say I'm not at all a techie or expert when it comes to audio equipment so I was hoping someone could answer this for me.

Gear is: Denon UD-M30 with Mission speakers, the only thing I changed is the stock speaker cable to monster.

Thanks in advance for any input and insight.
    -Chuck

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

This is usually due to pre-amp or amplifier stage noise. Usually higher end components eliminate this considerably. It is normal.

3. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor