What's new

Speaker Hiss? (bookshelf system) (1 Viewer)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it since this isn't really a part of my HT set up, but I've wondered about it for quite a while, though I never knew where I could ask about it.

My shelf system (one of those small systems that's popularly deemed "executive" nowadays) speakers in my bedroom exhibit hissing, which is most noticeable of course, when I just turn it on and no sound is coming through (i.e. CD mode stopped). It's not a LOUD hiss, it's just one of those things that's noticeable normally if you're occupied with something but it is always there, and quite present if you are listening for it. I can detect a bit of it still if I'm playing something at low volume.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. I have to say I'm not at all a techie or expert when it comes to audio equipment so I was hoping someone could answer this for me.

Gear is: Denon UD-M30 with Mission speakers, the only thing I changed is the stock speaker cable to monster.

Thanks in advance for any input and insight.
-Chuck

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
This is usually due to pre-amp or amplifier stage noise. Usually higher end components eliminate this considerably. It is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks