Speaker help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Todd Thurman, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Todd Thurman

Todd Thurman Extra

I have posted this in other forums but nobody seems to comment on the mixed speakers. Our room is 15 1/2 by 21 1/2 with a 57S500 on the far 15 1/2 wall. Due to the WAF I am required to place the surrounds on the opposite wall from the TV and since there is a hallway leading into this room I will need to position the speakers near the ceiling, four or six inches below the crown molding. This will place one speaker very near a corner and the other one in an open area due to the opening leading into the room from the hallway. After reading several reviews it seems to me that the Axiom QS8 is a fairly forgiving speaker that may work for me when mounted flat to the wall. My concern is how will these match up with a JBL S312II with an S Center since much of the information I read recommends that the speakers all match. These will be powered by a Denon 3803 which has yet to arrive. Any opinions, thoughts or suggestions?

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

matching is far less important between the fronts and rears as it is just between the fronts. The majority of output will come from the front 3. It is important to have a seamless soundstage up front. It is nearly impossible to have a seamless sound "pan" from front to rear regardless of speakers.

I'll leave it up to others to comment on the two brands you've named as I am not familiar with either. As long as they are not totally opposite (one bright one really mellow) you'll be OK.

3. Todd Thurman

Todd Thurman Extra

Thanks for your response. I have read comments by others that feel these JBL Studio Series speakers are a little on the bright side. Personally, I feel they are pretty neutral and don't add anything to the sound. I have seen many people comment that the Axioms, not just the QS8's tend to be a bit bright. Judging by that it would seem reasonable that they wouldn't clash.