1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Troy S, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Troy S

Troy S Agent

Hey guys...2 questions.

1. What type of glue is used to attach the fabric speaker cover to the plastic grid? Mine is coming loose...

2. $800 - $1000 total to spend. Need a 5.1 speaker system. The smaller the better on the speakers, but bookshelfs would be fine. I would like very strong bass and mid ranges for use in movies and music. Probably about 50% - 50% movies to music. I will buying in a couple rounds, so I guess fronts first, sub and then surrounds and center.

I have listened to a bunch and they all seem to be sounding the same these days!!! I would like to buy local, or at least listen local and order. My favorites so far have been Paradigm cinema series. But they seemed to lack the strong bass that I really like.

Thanks for the help!

If you could also recommend a receiver in the $300 or so range I would appreciate it.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I don't know what parts of the speaker you are talking about? Are you talking about the driver? Is the cone coming off the surround? Or the dustcap? or what...

As for speakers, it's hard to say, I'm a big fan of paradigm, and the cinema series should be great if you put a subwoofer with them. They *need* to be used with a subwoofer. IMO, the performance series is about the same price, but not as small, and much better in the bass department. They are decent enough on music without a sub. I'd get a setup with those, and see if you can squeeze an SVS into that budget, and you're good to go.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I just realized you were talking about the speaker grill. I really don't know how that would be attached, my guess is any glue will work, hot glue, elmers, something. That's not really a "performance" area of the speaker. As long as the grille is on there, it's fine.

4. GregAV

GregAV Agent

Considering your requirements for music/HT, try auditioning JBL's S38II. I also like a strong bass for music and my S38's have not let me down.

Mids are not lacking to my ear, and during HT playback vocals are crisp, and cleanly blend into the overall audio experience. I am not using a center channel as yet, though a SCenterII is planned.

For surrounds a set of S26's makes it complete other than sub.

Search the forums for JBL S series(S38,S36, S26, SCenterII) and look for input from Phil Itturalde as he's "the man" when it comes to JBL.

I'm using a budget DLS #630-632 subwoofer from Parts Express and find it meets my needs at the moment. It adds a serious boost to HT, though for music I find I keep it's output level and crossover low, letting it augment rather than carry the bass line. If you have the cash for a Adire Rava - so much the better, adjust your bass settings accordingly [​IMG]

Have fun,
    Greg