speaker grills

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benjamin_M, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

Just a quick question. Does removing the speaker grills adversly affect the speakers performance? I like the look of speakers without the grills on.... But want to know if I am degrading the sound.

Thanks!

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It boils down to personal preference. Some prefer the sound with the grilles on, some with the grilles off. It depends on the individual listener, speaker, and room acoustics. I keep mine on.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You may bring out a bit of treble, or reduce very slighty some defraction of the sound. Speakers may be engineered with the grilles off, and then they add the grilles later, and vice versa.

You aren't hurting a thing either way.

Enjoy!

4. Benjamin_M

Benjamin_M Extra

Thanks for the info!

5. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

Back when I used to read Hi-Fi mags all the time I noticed that many speaker test reports included freq response measurements with and without the grills. When there was an anomaly it was almost always a very small notch (a fraction of a dB down) usually somewhere above 10 kHz. I have never been a member of the "look at my drivers" fraternity. I like the grills on. If your driver compliment has irresistable aesthetic appeal you might want to take them off.