Speaker Grills + Cats + Kids + Tweeter Damage = Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Glenn, Dec 11, 2003.

1. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

The Bad:

My wife has a cat (notice, I said my wife) so I took my grills off my B&W 603s. My four year old daughter recently pushed in (dimpled) all my 1" tweeters. Had I had the grills on, she probably would have never been attracted to the "shiny silver button-like domes". [​IMG]

The Good:

I called my local B&W dealer and I just need to provide my serial numbers and they will order and install replacement B&W tweeters FREE OF CHARGE. [​IMG]

The Ugly (Question):

To prevent damage from future kiddie curiosities I want to put my grills back on. Is there something I can spray on my speaker grills to keep my wife's cat away?

Before you mention it, I already crank my HT when the cat attempts to use my floor standings as scratching posts. Which is probably why my wife is wondering why the cat doesn't respond to it's name anymore.

Thank you in advance for your response. PETA activists need not respond.

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I hear a squirt gun is good too. Just don't hit the speakers.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Carefully used masking tape will fix your tweeters, as long as they are not badly creased.

4. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I leave my grills on 95% of the time, but I also have no cats or small children...

You can try balloons or maksing tape on the speakers where the cat scratches. If you don't have a scratching post or box for the cat, maybe getting one would help. If it is an indoor cat, maybe you can get it declawed, at least on the front. Various spray products, such as bitter apple, will vary in effectiveness from cat to cat, so it is difficult to recommend a specific one, as well as the fact that it may actually damage the grill.

6. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I had a kid push the dust caps on my woofers once.
    Used a vacuum cleaner to suck them back out.
    Worked great.

How much was the cat?
    How much were the B&W's
    Do you know what I'm gettin' at? [​IMG]

7. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

The cat was free (damn cute strays, freakin chick magnets).

The B&Ws weren't...

...niether would the divorce.

8. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

My cats have always hated aluminum foil. Perhaps tape a 4-6" strip across the bottom until it learns its lesson.

9. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how your grill is held on but see if you can modify it so it's held on with velcro. Or you can make a temporary grill with cloth and cardboard. Use just enough velcro to hold the grill in place. When the cat tries to scratch on it it should come off. After several tries the cat should learn that the grill is not going to make a nice scratch post and stop trying. You just got to get the grill back on before your kid gets there, while you're training the cat.

(My Entec subs came with grills attached this way and my cat stopped scratching at it as soon as he realizes that the grill material will just pull off and land on him. Of course he went off and found some other speaker grills to scratch at. It's a good thing for me (and him) that he doesn't have the desire to poke his claws through the metal grills of my Martin Logins CLS2z's)

10. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

I have had a fairly successfull time with a squirt gun. After a giving the cat a good squirt or 2 whenever it went near the speakers for a scratch, it soon learned that speakers are a bad thing to touch or go near. Just make sure not to hit the speakers or any electronis that are near by :wink: Also make sure that the cat has something else to scratch on, one of those cat toys with the scratching surface that is surrounded by the ball that spins about (something like the Blitz Turbo Scratcher) has been quite popular with my cats (just add some catnip).

Andrew

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Go to PetSmart and buy some Bitter Apple spray. It's used to keep pets from licking wounds. They hate the stuff. I bet your wife's cat wouldn't be to interested in scratching the grills after you've sprayed some of this stuff on them. You may have to recoat after a day or so though. To test it out, take the grill off, spray some on it and stick it in the cat's face.

If I point the bottle at my dogs they start backing away. [​IMG]

12. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

I experienced this issue in the past. I tried everything from the Apple spray to squirt guns to gluing rubber claw covers to the cats claws (not a 1 person job).

This may sound weird but this worked for me. While I was listening to my system I could keep an eye on everything and make sure the cats stayed away. I found that if I covered the speakers with aluminum foil - just draping a sheet of it over the loudspeakers, the cats stayed the hell away from them. It looked ridiculous but worked.

I'm not sure what to do about the kid issue, luckily I don't have to deal with that.