speaker grilles: on or off?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenwood, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Glenwood

Glenwood Auditioning

Should one listen to music/HT with the speakers grilles on or off? I've always kept them on, for aesthetic reasons, but my dealer tells me my speakers will sound better, especially in the midrange, with no grilles. Thoughts?

2. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Yes..they look MUCH better with grills off, as for sound....i would suspect most people in a blind test could not distinquish the difference.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I've read that some sound best off and some sound best on, that's all up to the individual listening.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I've read that some manufacturers design their speakers with the grills on in mind; ie, they sound better with the grills on. Some design with grills off in mind. Now, exactly what differences they design in to accomplish this is beyond me.

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

which ever way sounds better to you.

Most of the speakers I've had with metal dome tweeters were too bright with the grills removed.

6. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

If your main interest is appearance, do it which ever way looks better.

If your main interest is accuracy, do it which ever way reproduces the sound more accurately.

If your main interest is euphony, do it which ever way sounds better.

If your main interest is following the rules, do it which ever way your manufacturer recommends.

If your main interest is status, do it which ever way your friends prefer.

If your main interest is domestic tranquility, do it which ever way your significant other, roommates or parents prefer.

If your main interest is to show that you are a unique spirit, do it which ever way nobody prefers.

7. craig_d_can

craig_d_can Extra

If you can't decide your main interest, leave one on, and take one off.

8. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Another thing to consider is this:

Young kids tend to want to 'poke' the tweeter cone to push it in if the grills are left off. So be careful.

9. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

11. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

That is like my Audio dealer telling me to use Isolation Spikes under all my gear because of Vibrations. He swears that the system will sound better. He gave me a set to try and I can tell you there is no difference in sound! If my sub that shakes the whole house does not cause vibration problems or degrade the sound, spikes are worthless in my book.

Chas T you have a PM.

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have Paradigms too, and they are the only company that i know of that design for the grilles on, because of the fact that most people do almost all their listening with the grilles on. I didn't really even bother, I listened both ways, but when I finally got some mid-way decent interconnects and hear the difference(i was skeptical), I went hunting for small tweaks, and the effect of the grille was one thing that I wanted to hear for myself. I spent some time, and it's not very obvious, but everything is a little brighter with them off. I now listen with the grilles on always, because it is less fatiguing, and a softer mroe pleasant sound. I say, listen for yourself, and decide on your own. Most, though, design for the grille off. It's your call and your ears though, so do whatever sound best to you.

13. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

14. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

15. Glenwood

Glenwood Auditioning

Thanks for all the input, guys. I guess I should have mentioned that I have B&W 801's for the mains, an HTM1 center and four Infinity RS-11 bookshelves for the surrounds. I have noticed that the sound is a bit brighter and more spacious with the grilles off. After listening for 10 years with the grilles on, it will take some getting used to. As for which way is the most accurate, i.e., closest to a "live" sound, the grilles-off wins. My dealer demonstrated this quite dramatically by speaking to me with the grille in front of his face and then without. I could definitely hear a difference.

16. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

17. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Wait...re-reading your post... isn't that what I just said? [​IMG] Maybe you misread my post... I did that the other day too.

Doug is exactly correct. Grilles have affect the sound (albeit in a relatively small way). The manufacturer/designer either designed it to be used with the grill, or not. You don't have to follow their advice, but usually they are right (they designed it afterall...).

Either way, you can't please everyone. Some people like them on to protect the speaker, some people like them off for looks. I frankly couldn't care less about looks when listening, so whatever sounds best is the way I go.

And personally, I like them with the grilles on, because I listen with my eyes closed for serious listening. I take them off when I'm not listening cause it looks cooler. [​IMG]

18. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

What about dust and other small particles. Wouldn't they eventually damage the driver?

19. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

I have the JBL NSP1 system (N24's all around and N Center w/JBL PB12) and prefer the grills off. HOWEVER, there's a little thing called the WAF ... and that changes things a bit. Besides, I've grown accusomed to it's face [​IMG]

Hey, anything to keep peace in the family [​IMG]

20. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor