What's new

Speaker finishing (please read) (1 Viewer)

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Well ive started gluing all my boxes together. now im thinking of what to finish them with. there is 5 speakers and a sub. id like it to be cheap and look nice. i was thinking dupli-color bedliner paint but thats about $60 a gallon and scratches to easy. Just need some ideas ! so please let me know what you have done or what you think would work. has to be cheap and look nice !

Tim Brewers

Agent
Bring them in to a shop that does the spray in liners. It should be pretty cheap for them to do it, all the have to do it spray, no prep work which is the expensive part. I have my two tube bumpers done on my last truck and it was $100. Worth a shot at least to call around and get prices.

Brew

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
ok ill do that tomarow. not to many places around here thatll do that tho ! i live in a smaller town pop is about 35k heh.

Krylon makes a crinkle finish paint that might look OK. I have used the krinkle black on aluminum valve covers, and refinished a center console on a 71 240Z, with excellent results.

Just a thought...

Justin

RaphaelZ

Agent
I've just finished painting my 4-way towers with spray on rocker-guard paint. I got it rom my local auto parts store. Its partially rubberised and leaves a nice textured, satin black finish that covers up most flaws in the surfaces. It dries fast and is paintable. Don't get the stuff with asphalt in it, it will never dry. I'll have pictures soon.

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
ok please let me know when you got pics !!! id like to see that.

what does it cost and how much does it cover?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have been toying around with the idea of using Behr Texture paint. It can be mixed in quite a few colors and is apparently pretty durable if you put the Behr Finish Topcoat on over it. Check it out at your local Home Depot.
Behr SandWash
SandWash How-To

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i got that reply in another forum.

its kind of expensive tho cause i have alot to do 1 big subwoofer the 3 fronts and 2 rears. the 3 fronts are pretty big like 24"x12"x8" and the rears are just 7" shorter and the subwoofer is pretty big 2cu feet i think.

it would probably be about $200 or so for me to do formica on it.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jason, Home Depot and Lowe's sell laminate. They stock some basic colors, one of which is black. It's not gloss, which is a good thing, IMO, and a 4' x 8' sheet is about $40. Contact cement is $7 - $9 a quart. It's easier than painting, but painting is probably the least expensive way to go. The others are steering you towards a textured paint, which I totally agree with. Trying to do a smooth, gloss or semi-gloss paint job is difficult and involves lots of labor. So I see your choice as laminate for a durable, scratch and dent resistant surface, or paint for the least expense.

Dan Johnson

Auditioning
I did laminate for the first time. I have a router, so only
needed a flush trimming bit. Lowes/Home Depot stock a limited selection.
So for one I got a really neat one that cost a bit more from a
lumberyard that carried Wilsonart. Laminate was a significant portion
of the speaker cost though.

I put a coat of glue on the laminate, two on the mdf on opposite
sides, wait, attach and roll, trim, repeat on other sides, then DONE.
I've heard wood veneering is just as easy, just have to finish it.

But, I was DONE in a couple hours. Mine went on very easily
and quickly. Now I have speakers that I don't panic if my
kid puts a drink on top of, so it's like an end table. Wife
likes the way it looks. Very durable.

I've heard of the pains people that try painting go through.
I had much less trouble than they seem to have (in general anyway).
So I'd use it again in a heartbeat-or wood veneer if I didn't
have to worry about cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks