speaker feet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lorenzo K, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

Sorry for this newbie question but what does speaker feet do? I know they are supposed to decouple the speaker from whatever item they are sitting on but will not having speaker feet installed affect the sound quality?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Spikes couple (not decouple) the speaker to the floor. As a speaker cone moves, it's mass will move the enclosure. Obviously speakers with more mass (subwoofers) will have a more pronounced effect. By using spikes, you couple the speaker enclosure to the mass of the floor (very large). This will minimize enclosure movement (which can cause distortion via the Doppler effect).

Are they necessary? I like to use them for stability. For some subwoofer enclosures (esp. ones with passive radiators) they may become more essential.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

But they also de-couple the speaker cabinent from the carpet/floor which can dampen/muffle the sound.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Two goals: spikes give a solid connection to the floor while transmitting a minimal amount of vibration through them to the floor. As Greg said, it is more important for larger drivers.

I have cone spikes on my sub, through the carpet to the floor, and it makes a noticable difference. My mains are on stands, with regular spikes.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, it really is weird how often i seem to follow john around.... [​IMG]
    here's my less than stellar analogy from another thread:
    [edit] looks like my link is funky. read below instead:
    i thought the purpose of the spikes was to couple the speaker to the floor. essentially providing a non-moving frame for the driver to be attached to.
    this way, the driver works more efficiently, moving itself within a rigid environment (the speaker cabinet itself isn't moving around, "wasting" energy)?
    you can sort of envision this. imagine holding a big bass driver in your hand. when it goes "thumpity-thump", it wants to move your hand back and forth. that's wasted energy. but if you hold your arm stiff, then the movement "stays" within the driver.
    of course, i may be talking complettely out of my butt here...