Speaker families, mains vs centers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenB, Feb 20, 2002.

1. StevenB

StevenB Agent

Hello,

I am sort of new to the whole Home Theatre thing, and this is my firs post on this forum. I currently have a Pioneer vsx810s receiver. My main front speakers are Kenwood JL-965AV 180Watt floor towers. My surrounds are Kenwood JL-840W 150Watt floor towers. My subwoofer is a Boston Acoustics PV-600. The problem is with my center and surround back channels. The ones that I am currently using are Fisher SR-314 75Watt floor towers. For one, they are out of place because I cannot fit them in the front (center) or back (surround back) because of size issues, they are just too big. Second, my receiver kicks out 100 Watts per channel, so I don't think these 75Watt Fishers are handling the signals/frequencies very well. I am looking for something in the Kenwood line that are at least 100Watt and can, at least for the surround back, be mounted to my wall. The other problem is, because of space, the surround back, when mounted, will be quite close to the listener, maybe a distance of 2 feet from their ears. Here are my questions:

Am I better off forgetting about buying a surround back and just go for the center? IE, does surround back really make that big of a difference? Will the proximity between the surround back and the listener be too close?

Can you recommend a speaker(s) that will compliment my other Kenwoods? I am especially interested in a center channel.

If I decide to go outside of the Kenwood family, are there any speakers that will be close to seamless with the Kenwoods I am currently using?

Again, I am looking for at least 100Watts from a center and surround back speaker that will compliment my Kenwood floor towers (mains and surround) that will be as close to seamless as I can get. Wall mountable is a bonus, but not necessary for the center speaker. Any help is appreciated by this newbie. Have a great day!

Steve

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Steven, I would go with a Kenwood package like the CRS-159 found on Kenwoods website....
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...oductTypeId=42
    They would more than likely be a good match for your mains. Don't worry about the receiver having too much power for speakers rated in the 75 watt range. You have to read the fine print to understand your Pioneer receiver is rated with one channel driven with a limited audio range at that. My guess is your receiver would be good to push 50 60 wpc with all channels driven. Get that package and you will be good to go.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Power rating on the speakers has little to do with anything at all, as it is only the max continuous output they can take before they die. The rear speakers are either blown or just no good.

2' is a bit too close for surrounds, even with level adjust, they will draw a lot of attention.

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Steven, you may find out that putting the rear speakers on the floor facing up would be better than wall mounting in your situation. Just an idea. That way, you would get the rear surround benefit without drawing too much attention.