What's new

Speaker Elimination (1 Viewer)

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing the paradigm's Monitor 11's, but I was informed that they are shielded. I was told that If I had a rear projection televion that would not be a problem. Is that true?

I only have approximatley 2 feet to the left and right of the set for speaker placement.

* I am aware that I can buy the shieled version, but they only come in black. I am looking at the rosewood color that does not come with shielding option.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Your post is a bit confusing. Do you mean "NOT shielded"? Because if they are shielded there's no worry about any type of monitor, direct or RPTV or plasma.

If not shielded, 2' is probably enough but that's just a guess.

Mike<>

Auditioning
the only way to know for sure is to get them home and try them out. be sure to experiment moving the speakers back and forth near the tv as magnetic interference can be subtle. i've found getting solid colors on the screen is the best way to identify a problem. look for rainbowing or the picture "bending"

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Typically, only tube type tvs are affected by non-shielded speakers... rptvs are not affected.....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2' is probably far enough to prevent any damage, but as noted, I don't think it will be an issue with RP, however 2' away from a typical RP TV is not far enough apart, IMO, for good imaging.

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
John,

What can I do if I only have two feet. If I go any further I will against the wall almost.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, being right next to the wall is an even less desirable thing, so I guess you will have to put them where you can. Toe them in a bit so they do not reflect direcly off the wall.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Just to clearly correct this in case an unwary reader is misled by this statement that implies that RPTVs are not tube-based:

RPTVs are still overwhelmingly CRT based. Some new RPTVs use digital projectors instead of CRT projectors, and thus they should not be affected by stray magnetic fields. CRTs, however, are quite affected. As to what degree an RPTV is affected, I do not know, but the CRTs are usually located in the bottom front of the set, so your speakers are probably going to be a few feet away from that area, which would probably minimize the effect, wherease with a direct-view set, the screen actually is the face of the tube, so anywhere right adjacent/above the set is RIGHT next to the tube and if not shielded would cause problems. I do not have an RPTV, and do not have experience with how susceptible they are to un-shielded speakers, you should ask your dealer, and try them at home. I'm guessing t probably won't be a problem though.

You should think 2-feet away PLUS, quite a ways more down towards the front bottom of your TV (which is where the tubes will be located).

gregD

Second Unit
Get shielded and be sure, especially insofar as you don't seem to have many options in positioning.

If finish is important as well, there are many other makes which compete in sound quality, price and finish.

Shop it.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
depending on the driver, 2' should be just enough to avoid interference with a regular tube television. I need at least 5' with my sub though!

No projectors are not effected because there are no electrons being shot at a tube!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Wrong. If they are CRT projectors, whether they be in an RPTV, or front-projection (it's obvious if you have a front-projection CRT, whereas some RPTVs now are coming equipped with digital projectors instead of CRTs), they can be affected. There definitely are electron beams being shot at the tube face.. in fact 3 tube faces. Still, you don't have to be too far away, and if you have a really BIG RPTV, it's not the distance to the cabinet that counts, but the distance to the projector INSIDE, thus a big TV, the edge of your TV is much further away, so you might even be able to get away with an un-shielded speaker right NEXT to an RPTV as long as it's far away enough from the tubes inside. This does not apply to direct-view CRTs of course, as the edge of the set is pretty much right next to the edge of the tube.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

That would be a CRT projector. Those three R, G and B "lights" are the faces of CRTs (pretty much small TV's). These could be affected by magnetic fields (and are).

On the other hand, digital projectors use light bulbs that shine through or reflect off something like LCD panels, or DLP chips and the like. These would not be affected.

Now, obviously speakers won't be a problem with either type of front-projection system, because it would most likely be mounted up on the ceiling. Nobody puts speakers up on the ceiling. Putting unshielded speakers next to the screen of a front-projection system won't cause any problems because the electrons (assuming a CRT) are all being shot within the projector. Hope that helps explain some more.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
CRT based RPTVs use essentially the SAME method of projection as a CRT based front projection system, just from the rear of the screen, thus the name Rear Projection. Most speakers will not tend to affect RPTVs, but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks