Speaker & Electrical Wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RucoreyZ, Feb 20, 2002.

1. RucoreyZ

RucoreyZ Auditioning

Before my first post, thanks for all your input on this forum. My lurking has giving my tons of useful advice in building my HT!

I'm finishing my basement and am taking my time in designing my perfect HT. All of my electronics are built into the walls and my question (finally) is this. What is the minimum distance, if any, between speaker wires and electrical so that there is no interference? I'm using Monster MP and 12ga electrical.

Thanks

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Auditioning

Welcome to the forum! The minimum recommended distance is 16 inches. If the speaker wire and electrical cable must come closer, try to make sure they cross at a 90 degree angle. What you really want to avoid is close parallel runs. If your studs are on 16" centers, make sure you don't put vertical runs of speaker wire and electrical cable in the same stud cavity. Good luck!

3. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Also, you can use a trick used by distributed sound engineers of twisting your speaker wire, if it runs close to AC. This causes any AC induced interferance to be common mode.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

No need to separate the two strands of zip cord. They twist just fine as they are. A trick we always use is to stick one end into the chuck of an electric drill and twist them that way.

6. RucoreyZ

RucoreyZ Auditioning

Thanks for the advice, I don't want to criple the entire HT with poor wiring!