What's new

Speaker distance question when calibrating (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
John K, how many volume controls really mean anything? I've had a few different Yamaha's and they're all different. My current one goes from -100dB to 0dB. Do you fully expect anybody to calibrate it at 0dB? I don't want to be anywhere near one of my speakers if I set it there. I've seen people in the past try and claim there's a universal position, but I've never seen that to be true. I guess THX gear may have it, but Rhett never specified what his gear was, so what John Doran has been saying has been pretty much correct. Telling someone to calibrate it the THX way, when they don't have THX equipment could be dangerous, both to their equipment and to their ears.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hi..

I am currently using an older denon 3200 non thx receiver! Saving my money for either a lex or tag!

R~

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

It varies from implementation to implementation.

For THX badged receivers/processors, the master volume control will be relative to reference level, (as an example) from -70.0dB to +10.0dB.

In this case, the maximum output with master volume at -70.0dB would be 35dB for main speakers, 45dB for the LFE channel. With master volume at +10.0dB maximum output would be 115dB for main speakers, and 125dB for the LFE channel.

I have worked with gear (not THX badged) that has volume controls in regular numbers (say from 0 to 100), volume controls that are relative to (unity gain (1:1) (values below meaning input signal is attenuated, values above meaning input signal is amplified)) and also relative volume controls vs the units maximum output level, ie -50.0dB to 0.0dB.

OTOH, THX badged gear should have the option to display based on a "relative" scale, which I cited two paragraphs ago.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks