What's new

Speaker Dilemma (1 Viewer)

ScottJackson

Auditioning
Here's my problem...

I've been planning my home theater/stereo (50/50) system for a while now. I had pretty much decided on a paradigm studio 60/CC/ADP 5.1 set-up. Now I have an opportunity to get a pair of almost new Carver ALS-III+'s for $1000 and a 10 year old well cared for Carver 500T for $350. If any has any opinions to share I'd love to hear them. Also, when it's time to upgrade to a 5.1 or 7.1 system, would paradigms be a good match? I know that many people suggest getting matching speakers all the way around, but this seems like it might be a pretty tough deal to pass up. I can also get a Marantz MM9000 5x150 amp to use for all of the paradigms for around $500. I haven't quite decided on a source, but I'm considering an Outlaw 950 or possibly the new Sherbourn or Newcastle. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
The Paradigm setup you're looking at would be let you upgrade to 7.1 VERY EASILY. Since all you would need to do is to buy a pair of Studio 20s or 40s or 100s and place the 60s in the back should you want more from the fronts. You DO NOT need to have same speakers all around. It is the best possible option if it's multichannel music that you care about but for HT it's not necessary and not important as you would want dipole as your surround sides.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
What proportion of time will you listen to 2-ch music versus either multi-ch music or movies? Of course, the Studio 60's are no slouches on 2ch either.

ScottJackson

Auditioning
Tim:

I listen to about 50% music/50% movies. Music will probably be almost entirely 2 channel. However, I will most likely use either DPL II or Logic 7 for most 2 channel music (I'm also considering getting a Lexicon DC1). As far as movies, I would like start with 5.1 setup to begin with and then move up to 7.1 when upgradeitis sets in.

I have listened to the paradigms on a few occasions and was impressed every time. My main concern is whether or not the Carver ALS III+'s will integrate well with paradigms. I don't really have any way to listen to the Carvers and the studio 60's at the same time. I can get them both for about the same price, so that really isn't a factor.

Thanks and please keep the opinions coming

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Being that the Carver AL III+'s are relatively inefficient, difficult to drive, hybrid/ribbon speakers, they probably won't integrate very well with the Paradigm Studio speakers. I've listened to those speakers many times being driven my a Aragon 4004 MkII (early version of the 8008) and they sound nice but they ate up everything that amp could throw at them and a lot more. If you're willing to have two separate systems I'd say go for it, otherwise pass on the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks