Speaker dilemma. Paradigm 100s, 60s or Monitor 11s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Legairre, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I'm sure most of you are saying what's the dilemma? Get that stinking 100s. Here's my problem.

I always planned on getting the 100s, but after reading some reviews in magazines about the amount of space the 100s need from the back wall. I've decided that maybe the 60s or Monitor 11 is a better choice for my room. My speakers can only be about 6" - 12" from the back wall. I've read that the 60s work well as little as 6" away. I'm not sure about the Monitor 11s though. So I think the 100s are out unless someone here says different.

I also want a speaker that I can run full range. I've read that the Monitor 11s can be run full range, but I'm not sure about the 60s.

So here it is. I need one of these three that will run full range at 6" - 12" from the back wall and still sound great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Go with Paradigm 60s. Unless you have a large room to fill you won't need the 100s. I think the consensus is that going to the reference line brings upon a dramatic leap in sound quality.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'd knock your wall down and get the 100's[​IMG]
    Whatever you do, stay with the Studio line. Maximize the performance of that Rotel Legairre!!!
    Love my Studio 40's and 20's. Would LOVE to have the room to get the 100's.
    The 100's are what I'm going to get when I buy my house in early 2003 and use the 40's for side surrounds and the 20's for rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup.

4. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Get the 100 if you can afford it but the Studio 60s are great too. A lot of people love the 40 and 20 but I think the 60s are the ones to get instead of the 40s because the difference between the 20s, 40s and 60s are not huge but the difference between the 60s and 100 is more substantial. Most people skip the 80s nowadays but you may want to listen to all of them.

Since you're looking for full-range speakers I assume you care a bit about bass so I wouldn't go lower than the 60s.

5. Legairre

Thanks for all the help.

It looks like the 60s are my best bet based on my room. I guess I initially thought the Monitor 11 went lower in the bass but after some more checking the 60s are actually rated lower than the 11s. Of course listening to the 60 will be the real test. My dealer will do the 100v2 for $1650.00, not sure about the 60s. I've heard the 100s before but never the 60s. Some of the articles/reviews say the major difference between the 100s and the 60s is the bass. I'm sure there are other differences but it seems to be the main reason for going with the 100s.

Well, time for more auditioning.

Thanks

Legairre

6. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

When is the Studio v3 line coming out? If it isn't that long from now, i strongly recommend to hold out and see if it is significantly better than the v2's. If not then you'll still get a price cut on the v2's.

7. Legairre

Yeah, I planned on waiting for the v3 to come out. I'd hate to get the v2 and the next month the new upgrade comes out. Gotta have the latest and greatest if I'm this close to buying. Besides I probably won't be buying for a few months.

I was going to get the speakers first, but over the last week. I've decided to get the pre/pro first and upgrade the speakers after that.

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Rumors are the V3 for the Studio line aren't going to hit the market till the late 3rd quarter 2002 at the earliest. It's the last line they are modifying, doing the monitor series much earlier. If there are any delays, it could be up to a year before you see Studio V3's. If I was in the market for new speaks, I doubt I could wait 12 months (or even 9). I'm sure you can get a price break by waiting, but how many in this hobby are known for their patience? (See the Outlaw 950 thread).[​IMG]

9. Legairre

Evan,

Thanks for the v3 update. Naw, I can't wait that long. My 1095 is sitting around feeding my JBLs(good speakers that have served me well). Granted it sounds GREAT. The old 1095 is a beast just waiting for something to really chomp on. I'll buy my pre/pro in a month or two(I'm waiting to see/hear the Rotel pre/pro). Then I'm off to buy speakers.

10. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

I'd have to say get the 40's and put them on a quality stand. I have listened to all of them and the jewel of the line is the 40's. The 100's are definitely more room dependent and better only IMHO in the last octave. A good sub will beat any floor stander in the last octave. The 60's are not quite tall enough for setup! Of course, YMMV[​IMG]
    James

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Is a subwoofer out of the question? If not, I would say the Studio 40s + Servo-15 combo is great (and at the same cost as the 100s).

12. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Do any of you guys know when the v3 line is coming out for the Paradigm Monitor series? I just bought 4 Mini Monitors, a CC-370 which were all v2 and I have a pair of Monitor 11's ordered. Needless to say I won't be too thrilled if they switch to v3 right now.

james

13. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

I believe this to be the kick ass setup...and the one I currently own:

Fronts - 40's on premier stands

Center - studio cc

rear surrounds - 20's

good music/HT sub - ACI Titan II LE

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Edward, I agree.

You have the exact same setup as myself except my sub is a Mirage BPS-100, which will probably be upgraded to an SVS in 2003 sometime. I think it sounds fantastic with the right associated electronics.

BYW, I don't have the Premier stands.

15. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I have the 100's about a foot from the wall, and they sound fine to me. I guess I'll have to move them and see. I think that if I hadn't got the 100's, I would have chosen the 40's - I'm using a sub with the 100's anyway...

Martin.

16. Legairre

Sure Martin, here I am thinking I can write off the 100s and you go and tell me how great they sound about a foot from the wall. You guys sure make it hard to decide.

Now I'm thinking about the 100s again.. OOHHH decisions, decisions.

17. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

James, the rumors I'm hearing (and they are just that...rumors from Paradigm dealers and such) is that the V3 for the Monitor line is due out this summer. I would expect dealers to have them by August or September, followed by mods (V3) to the Studio line after that (late 2002 or early 2003?)

Take that with a grain of salt, but it's what I'm hearing.

18. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I have demoed the entire Reference line and I have a pair of 20's right now. My decision to go with 20's had to do partially with cost, and partially with the wife wanting lower profile speakers. But the decision was easy because I found the differences between the speakers in this line to be surprisingly minimal, WITH the caveat that a good subwoofer is more essential with the smaller speakers. The big jump is going from the Monitor line to the Reference line, not the jump from bookshelves to towers. And the 60's vs. the 100's would be a no-brainer to me if I were go for towers. Grab the 60's and put the bux you save into some other aspect of your setup, e.g. a great sub. You really cannot go wrong anywhere with the Reference line. After all the brands of speakers I've demoed, there is nothing in this price range that comes THIS close to total uncolored neutrality.

19. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

James,

Sound and Vision has an article on Legend V3 (performance series).

20. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Legairre,

You should consider the option of getting the 40's and the Servo 15. I think if I could go back, that's what I would do now. Don't get me wrong: the 100's are great. But they are BIG. Factor in the rave reviews for the 40's over the 100's, and it really sounds like a winning combo to me.

Plus, if/when you go to multichannel music, you can get a couple more 40's, and have a very smooth soundfield.

I tried running the 100's large with no sub, but there was missing bass extension. Maybe a better amp would help that? Also, more volume may help, but I like to listen at moderate levels.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Martin.