What's new

Speaker Dilemma - Downsizing problem! (1 Viewer)

RickABQ

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
I have a dilemma with my front speakers. We’ve remodeled our family room, and I no longer have space for my beloved, 20-year-old Boston Acoustics T1030 floor-standing speakers. I need to downsize to something that will fit on the new bookcases. Floor-standers won’t fit, and I fear that I will miss something moving all the way down to a bookshelf speaker.

The T1030s have dual 8” bass drivers, 6” midrange, and 1” tweeter. I also have a 12” powered subwoofer (Phase Technology Power 12 – almost as old as the T1030s!) which honestly doesn’t get a lot of work with the T1030s shouldering the load. I’m having a hard time believing that a pair of bookshelf speakers, even decent ones supported by the subwoofer, won’t leave me feeling deprived.

Other speakers in my system are B&W CM Centre, and B&W DS3 surrounds. A Denon AVR-3311CI powers it all.

We use our system for general TV watching, movies, and many styles of music, about equally.

I’ve considered and sound-tested the B&W CM5s, which sound great in the showroom but just make me nervous downsizing so far in a 16’x16’ room. I also see B&W makes a series in a different form factor, the CT7.3, 7.4, and 7.5 home theater speakers, which are larger but would still work in a bookcase. My local showroom doesn’t have these so I haven’t heard them.

Anyone have any thoughts about the pros/cons of these options, or any other options to suggest?

Thanks!

Rick

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stepping down from 1030s?I'd rather take a daily swift kick to the balls.The CM5 still does 60hz...I hope you plan to Zone 2 the 1030s.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You MIGHT miss some midrange performance if you don't choose an appropriately performing bookshelf speaker, but a properly calibrated system should perform qutie similar with a solid sub and bookshelf. Do you like the sound of the CM5? That should be the deciding factor. 60Hz should give you a good blend to a sub too. One thing to note, you'll want front ported or sealed speakers to stick in a bookshelf - rear ported can have issues, especially if the cabinet isn't deep enough.

I like towers in a system that is intended for music only with no sub usually, but in a "multi-use" system where it has to do everything, I typically prefer a beefy sub and bookshelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks