Speaker dilemma, advice please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DevinJC, Nov 4, 2004.

1. DevinJC

DevinJC Stunt Coordinator

first time poster, short time reader, and so on.

Anyway, just got back into the HT world (had a system from about 88-95, Pio VSX 5???, mitsu stereo vcr, paradigm 5se fronts, infinity something's (kappa100's? dryrot ate the woofer's) for rears...it was righteous in college anyway. [​IMG])

Now I have Pio 1014, the same 5se fronts and new Atoms for rears. My budget is shot to all hell right now, but I've got the bug. The sound stage isn't horrible in my 10X14X9 room, especially considering the fronts are probably 10' apart with a couch between them. (Trust me, I'm working on the fiancee, couch must go!)

Current problem is... bass & money. God love those 5se's, but below 34 they will not go, amusing watching them try tho. I'm a big proponent of get the best that you can, but I'm kinda screwed on that at the moment. DVD player desperately needs upgrading. 20" TV... ugh.

So I'm looking at the Dayton 10" from PE, read some reasonably positive reviews here and there. But, I'm worried about buyer's remorse, mainly because I'd rather have a nice SVS. However, considering the TV cost down the line, I just don't see getting my sub budget up to $500, especially since a paradigm CC is gonna eat another $200-300.

Right, given all those boring variables, what do ya'll think? Will I be able to live with the Dayton for 1-2 years in a 10X14X9 room with 2 door-sized openings? Or do I forget the center channel for say a year and go $500 sub 2-3 months from now?

I'm leaning heavily toward the Dayton now now now now, as the lack of LFE is really irritating. Plus, I don't know if I'm gonna win the couch removeable battle, and the lack of a center channel is occasionally irritating as well.

2. DevinJC

heh just did a search on the Velo CHT-10 and somehow came up with even more positive things on the Dayton. Think I'm about to just pull the trigger and stop stressing over this, if $120 is so much money then I shouldn't even be worrying about my stereo. [​IMG]

3. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

It's hard to get buyers remorse from a $120 purchase thoguh I have tried. It would make a big difference in the way your speakers sound. I would go ahead. It is so cheap that you could easily justify upgrading in a year or two.

4. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

If your speakers image to your satisfaction, go with the Dayton. It's a good sub. It's not as good for music as I'd like but it gets the job done and for HT it is an absolute bargain. The Dayton will suffice while you save for the center channel and eventually a killer sub. By that time, subs will be even more bang for the buck than they are now.

David

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That’s a pretty small room, so a small sub like the Dayton will do fine. Keep it away from those open doorways, though.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. DevinJC

thanks guys, I just needed that final push. [​IMG]

1 Dayton 10" on the way.

7. DevinJC

Happy new owner. The sound is a little muddy, but considering it came out of the box, got tossed into a corner, MCACCed and put to work, I'm pretty happy at $120 shipped.

Think I'll pass on buyer's remorse for this one. [​IMG]