Speaker dilema

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Cunninghm, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys, I'm at a crossroads. I was planning on getting a pair of rear speakers this weekend to fill out my setup. I am wondering if I should also replace my mains.

Up until now I have been using a set of Bose 10.2 (I know, I know, at least they were free) as my mains. They take up a big foot print, and are all black laminate. The room they are in had a Victorian Parlor decor to it, so they look way out of place. I would like to replace them with something smaller and unobtrusive. I would even consider small wall mounted speakers now that I have a powered subwoofer on the way.

Here is my question: What are a few good models of main and rear speakers that I should consider. Smaller is better, but I don't want terrible sound. I don't need the top shelf stuff, 14 years on tanks have made premium speakers a waste on my old ears. Just something passable. White casings would be an advantage.

Suggestions?

2. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Youcould try these JBLs,
    or or these Paradigms.
    Both of them are indoor/outdoor, but it appears as though most white speakers fit that description. BTW, what's your budget?
    Hope I helped,
    Derek

3. Scott Cunninghm

Would like to keep the rears small and inexpensive ($300 or so), fronts can be a bit bigger and more expensive.

The wife is already upset that the wall mounted rears are going to detract from the damn crown molding so they have to be smallish. They will also have to be white so they don't stick out too much.

The front ones will replace the big, ugly Bose units so she will probably accept anything that isn't bigger/uglier.

She doesn't know about the subwoofer yet, I will have to try and sneak that in and hope she doesn't notice it over in the corner by all the other A/V gear.

The challenge in this room is that it is a living room #1, and a home theater #2, so all the stuff has to fit in or it gets vetoed. I even had to make the LCD projector mount removeable and the screen mount hidden behind the curtains so that it can all be stowed when not in use.

4. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

5. Scott Cunninghm

I just saw a small pair of Boston Acoustic speakers called "Boston Bravo" series. Anyone with any experience using this brand?

They fit nicely into a corner and are small, but I could not listen to them loud enough to tell if they would crap out at volume. Anyone own a set of these?

One thing I noticed was that the store had a large selection of Boston models, most of which sounded OK. They had the Bose stuff next to it, which sounded pretty weak.