Speaker designs suitable for all channels

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AaronR, Feb 5, 2004.

1. AaronR

AaronR Auditioning

I’m looking for a little advice. I just finished building a Sub/end table (Adire’s Tempest – mid Q set up) and am really happy. It inspired me to build the rest of my HT speakers. I’ve looked at designs at Speakerbuilder.net and murphyblaster.com. The MBOW1’s get rave reviews but are these appropriate for use as Left, right and surround speakers? Or even as a center channel? I’d like to find a design suitable for all four speakers and a matched center channel.

The other thing is I have just finished remodeling our living room which has built in shelves surrounding our new 65in Mitsubishi. I’d like to find speakers that I can also place in the shelves around my TV so rear ported speakers (like the MBOW’s) might be a problem.

Thanks for any help.

Aaron.

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

You'll get several suggestions in reply to your question, but I suggest you first set a budget and then re-ask your question.
    Also, there's usually enough room on the speaker baffle to move a port location from rear to front.

BTW, I'm not of the camp that believes that the surronds have to be the same speaker as your LCR's.

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Auditioning

From all I've read, the Adire 281's are great all the way around, although I'd probably go with the 81's as rear surrounds simply for cost. You would probably get more suggestions if you gave an estimate of what you're looking to spend.

4. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

check out the Spires at Creative Sounds and RAW Acoustics web sites... they're only good down to 100hz or so, but they're fully shielded, quite efficient, and have fabulous imagining. I heard a set including center channel at the Surrey DIY2003 event back and November at Al's (RAW acosutics) place and they sounded very good to me.

Very economical if you can do nice cabinets, and the cabinets shown on both sites are made by Al (RAW) and look even better in real life.

David

5. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

6. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

7. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

8. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Considering the main topic is home theater I agree. Where it does benefit is with the latest surround DVD-As and SACDs. For example, Telarc's 1812 Overture DVD-A that contains live cannons arranged in a circle, recorded from the middle of the circle and then fired so the cannonfire changes from front, to center, to back, to the side, etc..Have the same speakers all around makes for much better playback in this situation.