What's new

speaker decions (1 Viewer)

aaron_dewitt

Agent
Well i went out to check out some speakers today. I checked out the B&W 600 series 3, the Klipsch Reference 3 speaker system, and a bunch of M&K's. I was wondering what do you think of these? I decied im definately going to get a new reciever the old sony just isn't going to cut it. Im going with the Denon 3802 the 7.1 system. What do you think? My sub is going to be the paradigm ps1000.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Why would you mate a bandpass sub with such nice speakers?

Any of the 3 speaker sets you mentioned would be great. But I would stay away from the PS series subs.

Check out Adire Audio, Acoustic Visions, HSU VTF2, SVS etc for the sub. All are significantly better than a PS series Paradigm sub.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I'd buy the one's that sound the best to you. But if your asking for opinions, them i vote for Klipsch with a SVS sub. Now thats heaven.

Craig

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I have the Klipsch RF3 series paired with a SVS 20-39cs+ sub and liked it very much when paired with my Denon. I have since changed my receiver to a Onkyo and don't like the sound of the Klipsch speakers for music at all now. Klipsch and Denon= GOOD! Klipsch and Okyno= HARSH! Swan Divas are in my near future.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'll be a little more specific on what I would personally choose.

If the prices between the B&W600 Series and Klipsch Reference were similar then I would likely go with the B&W 600 Series. For the sub I would get either an SVS 25-31PCi retuned to 22hz or an Adire Audio Dharman.

Definately demo both the B&W and Klipsch. I like my Klipsch Synergy monitors for HT, but the horns start to get to me after an hour or so of music. Also remember the Klipsch are a fair bit more sensitive than the B&W so it will take less power to drive them to high levels. So if you like your movies/music loud make sure you have enough amp power to drive the B&Ws to that level, if not then the Klipsch can become quite attractive.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron - For a sub, I also support the SVS recommendations. But you may also consider the Paradigm PW2200 (not sure if it's PW or not...) It is quite a bit of sub for the money.

When you go to audition these speakers, be sure and take CDs of the type of music you will typically listen to. Also, if you have them, take some CDs with songs that have lots of piano, drums, and female vocals (like Diana Krall). You will get a real feel for the speaker's ability to reproduce the "live sound" of music with that kind of source material.

On my speakers, I can hear the pianist pressing the foot pedals while playing, and even the hammers hitting the strings. The cymbals sizzle. The vocals send chills down my spine -- if I listen with eyes closed, I am almost surprised to open them and find that the singer is NOT in the room with me.

That's what a speaker audition should do for you, IMHO anyway!! Have fun.

Also, the equipment driving the Klipsch's will have an impact on their sound. You can get a bad match which will leave the horns sounding "impolite" at times. But with well matched electronics, you'll be in great shape.

Doug

aaron_dewitt

Agent
Thanks for all the suggestions, Are you saying that my paradigm sub isn't good? I am definitely getting the dendon 3802 reciever it seems to be a great reciever. Is there any other reciever that is better for that price? When i tested the speakers out it was using the denon, a paradigm sub, the same as mine and the klipsh speakers. Then i compared it to the b&w's with the ps1000 sub i have and the denon reciever. To me the Klipsh sounded better for movies. To let you know this setup will be for movies only basically. Id say 95% movies 5% music for parties. Does this change anyones mind?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you listened to and like the Klipsch, then a Denon 3802 and Klipsch Reference make an excellent match that you will be very happy with.

I really don't like bandpass subs. Boomboxes, one note wonders, take your pick of more condescending terms for them. It's very hard to get a bandpass design to sound good and I don't know of any manufactures who have gotten it right. Above 30-35hz there will not be a lot of difference in output capability between a PW2200 and a PS1000. However, below 30hz there will be a big difference in output(very important for some movies). Sound quality wise no contest between the PW and PS series.

If you are in Canada the PW2200 is an excellent choice (it is much cheaper in Canada). If you are in the US its' cost goes up and you would be much better off with a SVS 20-39 of some sort or an Adire Dharman.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Given the results of your audition, sounds like the Klipsch are the best choice for you. Might want to listen again with some familiar program material to confirm your preference before making a final decision and then go with it! Has your Dad also had a chance to compare the speakers?

Good luck.

aaron_dewitt

Agent
Yeah no final desicions yet, but how much is that svs sub you are talking about. I live in michigan so going to Canda isn't a big deal. Get a break in the price and the money transfer rate. Tell me a little more about the pw2200 and the svs. Prices? why svs many people seem to support it here. Is it just because they are a sponser to this board?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Nope, it's because they are such incredible performers for the money. In a lot of cases besting subs that cost several $100 to more than twice what the SVS does.

A PW2200 would be very comparible to a SVS25-31PCi ($550USD) performance wise. In Ontario, if you didn't tell them you are from the US until after the price was agreed on you should be able to deal to somewhere between $800 and $850 CDN for a PW2200. You would be charged, I think it is 15% sales tax. 7% of that you can get back at the boarder, and the other 8% will take a while and some letters to get back. Then take the currency conversion at 62cents on the dollar and a PW2200 would work out to $500-$530USD. So you'll have to decide if the $50USD you could save would be worth your time and the gas to go to Canada. If it was me, I'd just get a SVS 25-31 retuned to 22hz. Or if I didn't like the cylinder shape I'd get an Adire Audio Dharman.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron -My $.02 concerning your sub. If I read your posts correctly, you were able to demo. the sub you currently own with the speakers you are considering. I also recall in your first post that you indicated you were satisfied with your sub's performance. Don't know what subs the dealer you are working with carries, but you might ask them to let you listen to a few more expensive subs and decide if YOU think an upgrade is worth considering. Could be that you will conclude what you currently own will do just fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks