What's new

Speaker Damage?? (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Hi Everyone..
A doubt has been nagging me from yesterday,thought ill ask it out here..there was a post recently in which a guy told that the yamaha HTR 5640 produced a hissing from speakers at loud volumes.. since i have the same reciever i tried that out yesterday, my reciever input was set to CD(no CD playing) and i cranked the volume up to 0 dB.. i found that the hissing started only at -15dB which i suppose is ok since the max i think ill ever go it -20dB... but the reason for my anxiety is that while at 0dB i accidentaly switched the reciever input to tuner and the system blared with full volume for 3-4 seconds while i quickly switched it back to a not-in-use input.. my worry is that my speakers might have been damaged in that short burst.. is it possible? I am still in the 30 day period so can change them.. please let me know .. though as per the specs my speakers should be able to handle it.. the reciever is 75 watts per channel with a claimed max output of 95 watts per channel and the speakers(polk rm6700) and 125 watts each capable.. please help me put my mind to rest :)
Thanks a Ton!!
Daman

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
You will know it if you blew something. If the speakers sound the same as they did before the incident, you did not hurt anything.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Mike,
They do sound the same to me.. i mean i listened to some familiar songs and also watched Saving Private Ryan last night on it.. they sounded ok.. but.. have this nagging doubt in the head so thought ill ask about it anyways to you guys.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
If it is all sounding normal, you are OK. You would know it if something was wrong. The first thing to go is the tweeter, if you were to clip the amp or over power the speaker.

Daman

Second Unit
Oh ok.. i guess its cool then.. thanks again Mike :) you put to rest my anxities!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks