Speaker Crackling/Snaping

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DrewSmith, Sep 18, 2003.

1. DrewSmith

DrewSmith Stunt Coordinator

I have Polk's all around in my HT. Today I hooked my Direct TV TiVo into my HK AVR 225 via an optical cable.

When changing channels there is a short delay on sound, the picture comes on screen then maybe a second later the sound follows. When the sound comes in even at low volumes a speaker crackles or pops I guess is the sound it makes. It doesn't seem to be the same speaker all the time it can be a different one each channel change.

The speakers never do this during radio or CD playback nor during DVD movies.

Any ideas?

Is it harmful at all it sure is annoying. Is my optical cable bad? Something to do with my receiver?

It doesn't do this with a regular analog audio hookup only with the optical cable.

2. DrewSmith

DrewSmith Stunt Coordinator

Anyone???

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have something that happens on my primary HT as well. I have a 2 year old Panasonic DVD with an optical digital output and no coaxial output. When I turn on the DVD player and it goes to the optical digital setting on my receiver, I hear a very slight buzzing coming from ALL my speakers. If I turn the DVD player off, the buzzing stops. I have the identical receiver, a Sherwood RD6108 in my bedroom and have my Zenith DVD/VCR combo hooked to it by a digital coaxial cable. There is no buzzing whatsoever from this unit. I am wondering if it has something to do with the optical cable as well, and admittedly the optical cable is one I bought at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks. If your DVD player has a coxial output, I would switch the optical cable for a coaxial cable and see if the problem still occurs. The buzz on mine is annoying enough that I am considering getting a DVD player with a coxial output to replace the Panasonic I currently own. I am convinced it isn't the receiver because it doesn't buzz like that when using other sources hooked to it, i.e., S-VHS VCR, CD Player, or the TV itself. Other than that, the DVD player works like a champ and even has a subwoofer out jack for a powered subwoofer.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This is pretty common with digital connections for many brands of receivers. Switching to coaxial will not solve the problem with the same source, but a different source may reduce or eliminate the problem. The only solution I have found so far was to get a receiver that does not do this. Analog does not do this, because the same signal detection does not happen.

I had a Marantz SR6200 with a CC4000 (4000s DACs did not sound so good) via optical and I did not have this problem, but with my Sony DVD via coaxial I DID have the problem. When I switched to a CA70ES CD via optical, the problem was also there, so I just analog (but still had the problem with my DVD). My new receiver (SR8300) does not have a delay with any digital sources so far.

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

So John, are you saying that the receiver is to blame or that the source is to blame? A combination of both maybe?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    AFAIK, it's a receiver issue. Some sources may not send the signal in a way that causes the problem, but the fact is, the receivers are the ones that have the issue "locking" onto the signal. The fact that my new receiver does not do this, means it can be designed out.

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Gotcha, thanks.