Speaker connections?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Wilson, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

One pair of my speakers have the compression clips that you insert bare wire into. Since I am changing all of my other connections to banana plugs, I thought I would change these as well. Is there a connector (wire end) that can be used? Is there really a need to change the connectors (wire ends)?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

For the spring clips, you can get something called "Pin Connectors". These terminate your speaker wire into a solid pin, and the pin has groves that the clips bite into so they dont just pull out. (Make sure the pin connectors you buy have these groves).

But I have to say, for spring clips, I'd just use bare wire unless the holes are just too small for the speaker wire. I'm worried about the surface area - the entire signal is transmitted through a very small contact surface from the edge of the spring clip to the pin.

I have used the pin connectors on my older receiver and I cannot honestly say I heard any difference between the pins and bare wire. It's just the thought of that tiny area - just bugs me.