Speaker connection on wall?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kyle C, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Kyle C

Kyle C Auditioning

I am not sure how to word this, but I am looking for a plate similar to an outlet cover that creates a finished look for wiring surrounds. It connects wire on the inside of the wall to a short wire that would run to the speaker, similar to what is used for cable tv. I just don't want a hole with speaker wire running out it! And any suggestions for a ring on the ceiling that projector connections pass through? Thanks.

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

3. Steve::Weaver

They also sell modular plates with matching speaker wire connectors at the local Menards / Home Depot. I've got a 6 jack one with R/L surround +/-, cable, and ethernet. Works great and looks better.

4. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

Radio Shack also sells some nice wall plates. They are 14K gold plated and use Bananna plugs. I used these in my last HT and they were wonderful.
    John

5. Randy Laporte

I got my connectors at Home Depot also, If you look at photo 11, you can see my connectors to the right of my Scarface poster, I wired my HT for the new 7.1, I'm only using 6.1 ,but I'm ready, just need speakers and 7.1 receiver when they start releaseing 7.1 dvd's.
    My HT

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Keep in mind that each wall plate you use triples the amount of termination points - on each end!

You could use a wall plate with a hole in the center for the wire to pass through. That way you could use straight-through connections from receiver to speaker. Plus you’re looking at only 50c per plate instead of $5.00.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Here are some pics of my speakers/wall plates. To dress it up a bit I covered the speaker wire in some Tech Flex

Speaker/Wall Plates

I debated over using the fancy wall plates but after adding up the cost and the fact that I dont move my speakers around the bennifit was not very high for me. The tech flex was a cheep way to dress up the connection.

Most people wont even notice your wall plates anyway [​IMG]

Good luck in your choice.