What's new

Speaker comparisons wanted for those on this list (1 Viewer)

Tim_J_M

Agent
In the next few weeks Ill begin working on my 7.1 setup. the first step is the 2 mains and a matching center. Ive allocated $1500-$2000 for this task as there are a LOT of options in this range. Here are the ones Ive found (prices arent firm, just average of what Ive found on the net and Im sure some can be had for less).

Vandersteen 2ce Signatures - $1500
Vandersteen VCC-1 - $500
(I love how these sound, but Ive heard the Vandy center isnt great and the surrounds are wall mount only, so Im leaning away from the Vandys)

VMPS 626r - $1400
VMPS LRC - $700
(Seems these VMPS' are all the rave, my only concern is the constant mention of a small sweet spot and when we watch movies we generally have about 5 people here so a big soundstage is important)

Monitor Audio Silver s10 - $1800
Monitor Audio Silver s8 - $1400
Monitor Audio Silver S-LCR - $500
(Some love them some hate them, comments welcome)

Dynaudio Audience 72 - $1500
Dynaudio 122c - $700
(Seems to be a huge Dynaudio following and all the reviews seem very favorable)

PSB Stratus Gold i - $1700
PSB Stratus C6 - $700
(Same with the PSB's, good reviews and a good following, prolly the most expensive on my list but I think I could find the set for $2000)

Energy Veritas 2.3 - $1500
Energy Veritas V2.0C - $600
(Heard them locally, loved the midrange and bass but they seemed bright to me. Ive heard they take a while to break in and soften up. The advantage is I can get a new pair locally for $1200 since the local shop owes me $200 and they are selling them for $1400)

Meadowlark Swifts - $1000
Meadowlark Swan - $600
(Never heard them, but since I like the Vandys, maybe these are comparable? Also they look very nice and are the cheapest on the list and everyone that has heard them (albeit briefly) says they rock)

JM Labs Cobalt 816 - $1600
JM Labs Cobalt CC800 - $500
(Was suggested by someone else in another thread)

In the meantime, I have some Ascend Acoustics that Ill be using as the rears and surrounds as I complete the new setup.

Thanks a ton and have a good weekend.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard the JM Lab Cobalts several times and have always been very impressed by them.
I had a pair of B&W Nautilus 805's and an HTM-1, but after hearing the JM Labs I sold them both and replaced them with JM Lab Electra 906's and 901CC and am still amazed at how much more I like the JM Lab's versus's the B&W's.
You should definetely listen to the Cobalt's if you get a chance!
Link Removed
Good Luck,
Brandon

Tim_J_M

Agent
I notice youre in Birmingham, Im in Huntsville. Where did you audition the JM Labs? No one here sells them.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
In Birmingham the JM Lab dealer is Audio Forest. It is a brand new store that just opened up this summer. It is a branch off of the same store in Atlanta. Send me an email and I'll get you some more info on it.
[email protected]

Yu-Ming

Auditioning
Hi!

I've just bought a set of Monitor Audio S8's + S-LCR + SFX.

Haven't rigged up the centres or surrounds yet, just using the S8's for stereo with a Pioneer VSX-D2011 amp and DV-757Ai universal disc player and QED Silver Anniversary cables.

I'm very happy with what I have heard so far. To my non-HiFi ears they sound very clear and articulate, the midrange has a very liquid quality (for want of a better desciption!) and this is definitely what sold it to me in the end. Music wise, I think these speakers are in their element with Jazz and Classical but due to their lovely midrange, will also sound good with more in your face styles.

I've read that the previous silver series could sound quite harsh with the wrong gear and this was a concern of mine as can't stand nasty treble. However, I don't think this is an issue with the new silvers. It sounds very smooth without even being run in yet (though I haven't been listening at high volume).

I tried it against B&W 603's which it beat hands down, Kef Q5's which looked absolutely gorgeous and sounded good but came across as lots bass and treble but not enough midrange and some Acoustic Energy Evos, which were great for their price, but I'd guess that you're not after budget speakers.

If you end up going down the MA Silver route, they have just released the SFX surround speakers which can be wall mounted and would probably be just the ticket for a 7.1 system. I'm not sure when these will be available in the states, I'm still waiting on mine though they are meant to be available from 1/12/2002 in UK.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks