Speaker comparison: RCA vs. JBL

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Radio Shack has the RCA speakers on sale for 58.00 ea. These are the same speakers that got rave reviews in audio magazines a couple of years ago when they were badged under the Optimus brand name. I'm curious about how they compare to the JBL N and S series.
    These are the speakers. http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=40%2D5037
    All opinions welcomed.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Reginald:

Radio Shack and Best Buy (purveyor of the JBL N/S Series) both have return policies that should make it very easy for you do do the comparison in your home, with your equipment. I could talk until blue in the face about why I think the JBLs are better, but what difference would it make if your ears prefer the RS speakers.

Try them out; happy listening.

--AM

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Angelo, I already know I can return the speakers even so I appreciate you mentioning it. However, I was hoping to hear the opinions of people that own or are familar with these speakers.

4. BenG

BenG Agent

I've owned both. I bought the NSP1 set a while back to hopefully upgrade my RCA/Optimus set containing the speakers you mentioned. Here is my take:
    RCA-
    Pros: Great highs, very spacious sound. Music sounds like real music, rather than music being reproduced by a speaker (you may have to hear this to understand it). Great for home theater.
    Cons: Somewhat muddy midrange. I feel it necessary to use an EQ to compensate.
    JBL-
    Pros: Good, clean overall sound, and great midrange. The highs are decent and unobtrusive, but not spectacular. Very flat response.
    Cons: Music seems to sound "boxy", and lacking of life. Maybe the dipole effect from the RCA's has spoiled me. I wasnt overly impressed with the N24's home theater capabilities compared to the dipole setup either (I did like the center channel, though).
    I auditioned both at the same time, and ended up returning the JBLs. You may draw a different conclusion; the JBLs are an excellent set of speakers for the money. But do yourself a favor, and try them both first [​IMG]