What's new

Speaker combination for EX/ES set-up (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Auditioning
I'm in the process of setting up an EX/ES system. I'm not sure what speaker types (direct/dipole)to use for the side and back surrounds. I know what THX suggests, but I'm wondering what you guys are using. Please specify your setup as follows:
Side surround/back surround:
a) direct/direct
b) dipole/dipole
c) dipole/direct
d) direct/dipole
Regards

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Front L + R: bipolar
Front Center: monopole
Rear L + R: bipolar
Rear Center: monopole
They are basically mirror images. Very nice soundfield. I used to have dipoles for the rear L + R, mounted up high. When I went to the bipolars (ground level) I felt the sound field integrated better with the TV picture. Calls attention to itself a lot less.
I am *in* the sound field now instead of *under* it.
------------------

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I am using directs for my side surrounds and I will be getting the same when I add to two center surround speakers. I like the way monopoles sound for DTS music and movies.
------------------

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
bipole side surrounds(no prolog anymore so why dipole?)
direct radiating rear surounds (2)
can do either-or--or-both set-up === ie; DTS MUSIC CD'S AND
DVD-AUDIO/SACD(MULTI-CHANNEL OF COURSE) LIKES 5 W/DIRECT REARS BUT FOR MOVIES I LOVE THE ENVELOPMENT OF RUNNING ALL OF THEM
------------------
Matt says "if you have received good service from a salesman,if he has educated you as to what you should buy, buy from him! not from the internet!"

SimonT

Grip
I use 4 monopoles...2 on the sides, 2 in the rear. I don't like way dipoles sound in my room. I needed the direct radiators. If you have the right acoustics though...I would definitly go with dipoles for more diffuse imaging.
------------------
MY HOME THEATER

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I'm also in the same boat, looking to set-up at least a 6.1 system. As this will be from scratch ( sold off my old stuff), am I to think that I should put up directs on the sides and another direct as my rear center? Will "upgrading" later on to a 7.1 with another rear direct be a logical way to go down the road?
BTW, I'm thinking of getting Atlantic Technology 350s for the lot..with an SVS sub of course.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm all the way around;
Monitor-9 LCR350 Monitor-9 PW-2200
ADP-350 ADP-350
Mon-5 Mon-5
Nice sound in 15.5/16.5 room.
Zbigniew.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trishy!
Recent bookmarks