Speaker Choices

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ben pivar, Sep 24, 2005.

1. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Just bought a new house which has a built in entertainment center. The configuration of the entertainment center makes it impossible for me to use floor standing speakers - thus it looks like I've got to switch to a satellite systems, or bookshelves mounted high on the wall. Thus, it looks like my Boston Accoustics system may be headed to ebay (T1030, VRS Pro rears, VR 12 center and VR 2000 Sub) Anyway, I'm looking at several options, and today I was recommended and listened to some Role Kayaks. If I went with these, I'd probably replace the center channel, but leave the rears alone. Any thoughts on doing this versus buying a nice Boston bookshelf or satellite speaker? For some reason, I'm having a tough time finding the Bostons here in Atlanta.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

For information, the room is very large - about 35 x 13. The viewing area (it's not a dedicated room) is about 12 x 13. Floors are hardwood, and one side of the room is all windows. We do have a couple rugs to help reduce the echo.

2. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I've have a Boston CR85, CR75, VRC system and love the sound. I have also listened to energy C3 speakers and think they sound very good. I've seen these new on ebay for $284 a pr. The nice thing about them is they are ported in the front. This will provide better sound when wall mounting.

3. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Anyone have any thoughts on the Onix Reference 1 series in comparison with the Role Discovery or Kayaks? After thinking things over, I'm thinking the Kayaks might not have a full enough range relative to what I'm used to, so I'm thinking three Discoverys might work better.

4. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Ben,

I've no idea what a Discovery or a Kayak is. As for the Ref1s, they are fantastic, esp. in packaged deals. There are some used/new ones on Audiogon that go for around $550 to 725. These are very revealing speakers, so it helps with good electronics/source.

Your room is rather large (and hardwood floors play tricks with the sound waves). I don't think any bookshelve by themselves can compete with the system you have in terms of shear slam and SPL. Not even a fair fight without a subwoofer, IMO. You mentioned that you'll be ebaying the current system, and it looks like the subwoofer may go along????

I believe there's a few Onix owners in Atlanta, so you might drop by the AV123 forum to request a demo to see if you like the speakers or not.

5. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Yeah, I'm getting rid of the Boston sub, and replacing with a smaller sub - so I will still have a sub. I don't think I'd be happy with any bookshelf speaker without a sub given that I like to watch movies more than listen to music.

6. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

7. ConorJ

ConorJ Extra

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the Ascend CMT 340...it's not as detailed as the Onix Ref 1 but its very balanced, neutral, and 1/2 the price of the Ref 1.

8. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Ok, so I got home from my trip and I don't think the Onix Reference 1's will work with my setup. They're 11 inches deep, and I'm wall mounting these speakers. I went to listen to the Def. Tech. Mythos today, and thought they sounded pretty good. Good enough for me to be happy with given the constraints I'm dealing with. Any other suggestions for a slim mount speaker that will fit high on a wall and sound good?

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

The Ref1s will not do for wall mounting, since they are rear-ported speakers. Unless you go REALLY expensive, there are no wall mounted speakers that will sound anywhere as good as a comparably-priced bookshelf.

If the sound of the mythos pleases you, ask them to let you borrow it for the weekend to try out in your own home. They will sound different than in the stores.

Also, how high are you wanting to mount? Are you wall-mounting all 5 speakers?

You might try some on-walls from ACI:

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/custom/essencec.htm

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Have you considered Maggies? They will mount on either the wall or the sides of your entertainment center. Add a subwoofer and you're golden.

11. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Both those option are too wide for my mounting area. If I go with the Mythos, I'll mount them about 6 inches from the ceiling and the center channel will be mounted inside my cabinet above the television.

Any thoughts on the Paradigms? Maybe the Cinema Series?

12. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I forgot about the maggies. Alan, won't the maggies need quite a bit of power to shine?

Ben,

I'm not familiar with the paradigms cinema series, but they look pretty nice. I'm waiting for the HTD on-wall versions to come out. It'll look like a pair of their current Middies joined end-to-end to provide a slim (and elongated profile):

http://www.htd.com/htdmiddies.html

[​IMG]

13. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Correction, it looks like the Maggies might fit. At least the MMGW's and MMGC. I'd need to mount about two inches from the ceiling...Would they work well with a Marantz SR8500 or an Arcam AVR300? Haven't decided yet between the two.

14. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Nhan/Ben: The MMG-Ws (factory direct) are a little easier to drive than the bigger Maggies....you'd probably need a good 100wpc amp that is stable into 4 ohms. Keep in mind the optimal height for these speakers is 24" from the floor to the base of the speaker. You can get creative with them, but that's the ideal configuration. The Maggie centers are ideal if you need to place them inside a cabinet, and they can be angled to the listening area.

If you can afford it, I'd go with MMG-Ws as L and R (and surrounds, if you can do it), and then grab the better center channel, the CC3. You could get the whole 5.1 package for around $1500. If you can't swing that, you can save money and go with the less expensive center (MMG-C). That will take you down to $900 total. The CC3 IS worth the money, though. I know I've seen at least one or two professional reviewers call it the best center they've ever heard....period.

By the way, Ben....the Atlanta Maggie dealer is great....they have a really nice shop in Alpharetta and they are great guys to deal with.

15. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

Thanks Alan - my issue is that I'm space constrained, and I can only mount speakers high on the walls - I can angle them down. While I can afford the more expensive Maggies, they're too large for my set-up.[​IMG]

So I'm wondering if the MMGW and MMGC will be better or worse than the Definitive Mythos that I listened to over the weekend. I will need to mount the MMGW horizontally and I can angle them downward, but they will be hanging from the ceiling. The Mythos run about $1500, and I could go a little higher on speakers if needed. I'm looking for something that's relatively slim in terms of depth - say less than 6 inches deep.

Oh yeah, I can mount the center inside the cabinet. That shouldn't be a problem.

16. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Ben:

As much as I hate to say it, I think it sounds as though the Maggies might not be the best choice then. They can work horizontally, but they'll need to be either 1) on the front wall 3' down from the ceiling, or 2) on the ceiling, but 3' out from the front wall. It CAN be done, and Magnepan will give you 60 days to play around with them, but it won't be the ideal set-up. If it was only the surrounds you needed to mount that way, that would be different. But I'm not sure how they'd sound as mains.

have you considered the gallo line? They have some wall mountable speakers that can be angled downward, and they are pretty well-received by most folks.

17. GregUVA

GregUVA Auditioning

I would second the Maggie solution if you can swing it. However, if that doesn't work out, there's a good review of several on-wall systems from January 2004 you might want to check out at Sound & Vision's website (I can't post the URL as I don't have enough posts yet).

18. ben pivar

ben pivar Extra

I think I'm going with the B&W FPM's. Trying to decide between the 4's and the 6's. Any opinions?