What's new

Speaker Choice (1 Viewer)

Patrick.M

Auditioning
Im looking to upgrade my speakers. $500 price range, as in, no more that $500 - people always suggest "it's only 99 dollars more, so you may as well..." and the like. I have a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers on stands I welded together (they are actually quite nice.) I also have a decent Sony 5.1 receiver... has everything I need. And a Polk 10" sub I'm quite happy with.

So, I am looking to either replace the bookshelves, or upgrade to floor standing. I also wanted to add at least a center speaker, and maybe some rears.

The only problem with adding two rears, is that my couch will be right up next to a wall (maybe half foot to a foot I can squeeze) and the room is about 14x12. I am a little concerned with the rears sounding correctly. Maybe you all could suggest a better speaker arrangement that would help out.

I've been reading through the forums here, and have come across quite a few interesting sets of speakers. 1) AR HC6 2) Fluance HTB 3)JBL NCi II 4) Onkyo SKS-HT510

- I've only read positive things about the fluance speakers, and they are cheap! Questioning their build quality though.
- The JBL's Ive noticed are a plastic enclosure, which makes me think cheap.
- AR's may be a little small

If these sound like wise choices, let me know. Or perhaps you could suggest a pieced together set. I question the acoustics of a pieced set versus a set of 5 speakers from 1 manufacturer that were meant to go together.

As you can see, I'm quite new to this. Be kind. and, ummm.. sorry for the long post.

-P

Fred G

Agent
I was choosing between the same speakers several months ago. I ended up going with the Fluance because I really wanted floor standing speakers, and the price was right.

I couldn't be happier. the sound quality blows away anything I've heard in this price range, and the build quality is good as well. The only thing you want to do is to make sure get a sub as it really brings the system together.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm partial to Boston Acoustics. My local tweeter has CR95s for $316/pr. These are fantastic speakers that went for $550/pr. They have also recently closed out the VR950s for $350/pr, normal $700/pr. You could then find a used CRC or VR910 for about $100-$150. Great front three!

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
You can't normally purchase Boston Acoustics online. I have seen some, including new speakers, on ebay. You have to be careful on the prices. Some end up going for more than you can buy at local shops. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks