Speaker Choice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnE, Oct 8, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I'm trying to decide on speakers for a new budget HT. I'll be using them for 60% music 40% movies. the two sets I'm looking at are JBL NSP-1 and the Fluance SX HTB. I'll be matching that with a HK AVR230 or HK AVR225, though I'm leaning towards the 230. I plan to pick up a sub in the spring at income tax time.

Can I get some thoughts on these choices and if anyone has other suggestions I'd appreciate hearing about it.

My budget really is very limited and $800-$900 is about all I've got to work with for a receiver, speakers, cd player and a new component stand.

As always a big thanks to everyone.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

go to www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and look at the RADMicros. Brian, who is a great guy, and true craftsman, is selling a 5.1 system for $750. Custom built, and you get to choose the veneer.

Cant lose, give him a call and see what he can do for you. I have bought several items from him, and he will be building me a sub in the future.

3. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I think you'll want to spend more on your speakers than on your receiver, since they're the difference maker in sound quality. Ratio of 2:1 (speaker:receiver) would be nice.

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

A ratio close to 1:1 sounds more realistic to me.

Edit- I was thinking of mains only.

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like Klipsch speakers personally. You either like Klipsch sound or you don't, and they are a VERY efficient speaker. Definantly check them out, you can find alot of Klipsch setups for around $900. There cheapest setup is $350 without a sub (there Quintets) and you could get there Synergy line bookshelves for just a little more all together.

Take a look at them... if you have a Bestbuy near you, you can demo there Synergy line of speakers... although it isn't the most ideal place.

6. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I think for the money and within your budget, the NSP-1 series is a great bang-for-buck value.