Speaker Choice (HELP)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KostaVan, Sep 2, 2003.

1. KostaVan

KostaVan Extra

Here is the situation. I already have a Onkyo DR-C500 (100x5 RMS) and SVS 20-39 PCi (the medium sized cylinder) payed for and on the way. My dorm room size is 17.5 x 10.5 with 9 ft ceilings and I was looking at either Energy or Axiom. My listening habits are 50/50 and I was leaning towards Energy because I LOVE the maple silver which will look great with the 50 inch silver TV.

My first question is, "Are the Energy speakers the right ones for me?" - I can't listen to either speakers anywhere near me but have heard good reviews about both. Second, "If I were to purchase the Energy speakers, which ones should I go with?" - I wanna keep bookshelves for the fronts and have a budget around $800-$1000 for the 5 speakers. I want to use the Connoseiur series. So do I go with C-1 for the front and C-R1 for the rears with a C-C1 for the center? Or C-1's for fronts and rears? Also, where do I order these babies from? I used the dealer finder on the website and they couldn't find anywhere within 150 miles. Sorry for the long post. ANY INPUT would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. KostaVan

KostaVan Extra

HELP >>>>> PLEASE!

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

KostaVan,

Where are you located? There are Axiom owners willing to have you over to listen. Check out their own forum.

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I personally would not make a decision based on appearance alone. I mean, speakers are meant to be heard. Now if you were down to a few choices and found all of them to be equal regarding performance, then it would make sense to choose what is most aesthetically pleasing out of the bunch.

That said, Axiom's are a more competant speaker than the Energy Conn's, IMO. However, I cannot make the same statement regarding the Energy Veritas line....which is superb. Now of course this is my opinion, but I don't have a problem stating it because I feel the Axioms are that much better.

Try running over to the Axiom forum and see if you can find anybody who still owns or at one time owned Energy's. The folks on the Axiom forum are generally straight shooters.

Lastly, if you havn't already, check out Axiom's custom finishes to see if they offer something that will go well with your existing setup. The custom finishes can be viewed on their website now....I think they just became available a week or so ago.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard the Energy Veritas 2.2 side by side with the Axiom M60 and can easily say the two are very comparable. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other. The 2.2 retailed at $1500, the M60 sells internet direct for $800.

6. KostaVan

KostaVan Extra

I think I've decided on the Energy C-1's as my fronts and C-C1 as my center. But what should I use for my rears? Either C-1's or C-R1's? I would think I would use the C-R1's as they are a rear speaker but I hear people saying they are using C-1's for rears???? Thanks for your help.