1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_B, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I want to use my RatShack device to calibrate my speakers but I'm not sure I can adjust my speaker levels. I have a Yammy 995. It won't allow me to adjust the MAINS. Only the surrounds and sub. Any suggestions?

2. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Level what you can adjust to your mains.
    What?
    I mean, adjust what you can adjust to the same output level of your mains.[​IMG]

3. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

On yammies I think you have to use the BALANCE control to equalize the mains.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    No, not balance control. With Yamaha receivers, the mains can't be adjusted. What you have to do is use a test disc and the SPL meter to set your reference level. When the front left tone is played, just raise the volume control till you reach 75dB(85 w/avia). Remember this level as this will be your "Reference" level. Now that you ave the "reference" adjust your center and surrounds to register 75dB(85w/avia) at this specific volume level. Use this volume level to listen at reference level. It may be -10, it may be -20, or it may even be 00.

5. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

What I meant was there is no individual adjustment for the mains (at least not on the 5440). If after you reach 75 or 80 DB your R & L are not equal the balance control must be used.

6. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, that makes sense but how can I get the right speaker to match the other speakers? I guess I would then have to use the balance control knob which I hate doing but I don't know how else to calibrate it. I have the AVIA disc. When you say reference level isn't that TOO loud? Does everyone listen at this level? If I listen to it at a lower level does it become unbalanced? How do I calibrate the sub?
    Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for the input guys!

7. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

This is what I would do. First get your left front and right front level with each other using the balance control while playing the test tones either at 75dB(VE) or 85dB(Avia). once the SPL meter is reading 75dB or 85dB using the volume control, don't mess with the volume again while calibrating the other speakers. This is your ref level. Once those two speakers are calibrated to each other, then calibrate the rest of the speakers using only their individual controls.

I don't think anyone with half way descent hearing listens to movies at ref level, but that is always up for debate. Listen to a level that you like. Ref level is just a standard so to speak.

8. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

thanks man!

9. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I have the RX-V995 also, and the process that Sebastian wrote is correct.
    So, the following Volume Control REFERENCE Mark is from my SVS 25-31PCi review (last thread) which includes how to REF Calibrate your sub (SW, DD LFE & DTS LFE controls) - although I'm using Video Essentials & it's dedicated LFE Test Tone (w/JBL S26 all-around & S-Center):

10. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

Phil, my Yammy 995 does not show me the decibal level when turning the knob. It basically just states 'Volume Up' or 'Volume Down' which I absolutely hate! Is there a button setting or something I'm missing?

Still confused on how to calibrate my sub. I don't have an SVS yet (next month). I currently just use an energy 8" active subwoofer.

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Sounds like you got what you were looking for. I am assuming that the front left and right are the same brand/model and the same distance from the listening possition. Therefore, they should register the same levels with the meter if your receiver is working properly. Sometimes room acoustics can have an affect on this if one is close to the wall and the other is out in the open, but for the most part, they will bee too close to worry about.

So, Assume the left=right, don't worry about the balance control.