speaker calibration...receiver test tones or some specialized HT test disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Curtis_Edwards, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

Which should you use and why? Are they both going to be the same output?

Thanks.

2. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

It's better to use the fancy calibration disk, because this will take into account the whole system, from the laser reading the DVD to your seating position, rather than just from the reciever on. That said, the difference will be quite minor for most systems.

Greg

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do a search for "Video Essentials" (VE) or "Avia"

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Build in Test Tones: These are quite good and have the advantage of not needing the external disk. But some units, Yamaha in particular, dont provide test-tones for the subwoofer port.
    Avia & Video Essential: These are great. They not only provide subwoofer tones, they also honor the LARGE/SMALL settings of your speakers and give you a rough idea of the full-signal path effect. They also describe the entire process in a simple to follow format.
    They also have some extensive video adjustment screens, and a lot of description of how to use them. It's almost a course on TV adjustments.
    Highly Recommended.
    Frequency Sweeps: This type of CD gives you several seconds of 10 hz, then 20 hz, .... all the way up. With a SPL meter you can plot how your room is affecting/enhancing some sounds. Only usefull if you plan to do some equalization to tame peaks.

5. TimothyW

TimothyW Extra

I already have the Avia, but I want to do a subwoofer frequency sweep. Where can I get one on these CDs?

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Tim: If you have a CD burner, you can download a little program called "NCHTone" (I think). This little program lets you set a frequency (in 1 hz increments) and a time, and save each tone to a .WAV file. Then you use your burner to make each one a track and you now have your own test-tone CD.

Using this, and a SPL meter, you now have a "poor-mans" Real Time Analyzer.